May 22, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
We likely will not know if the Pacers will have Paul George back from his concussion for Game 3 against the Heat until a few hours before tipoff Saturday.
George looked like a protected quarterback at Pacers practice Thursday, wearing a red vest and not going through any contact drills, just a couple shooting ones.
Candace Buckner of the Indy Star has the details:
George suffered a concussion in the third quarter of the Pacers/Heat Game 2, when in a scramble for a loose ball Dwyane Wade accidentally kneed George in the head.
George played the rest of the game but in post-game interviews said he blacked out for a bit, which led to a second round of tests and a concussion diagnosis. For him to be cleared to play he has to be symptom free (as proven by passing tests) after increasing levels of exertion. This all must be approved by both the team doctor and the league neurologist.
A legitimate discussion of how George got to continue playing after suffering a concussion is taking place in some parts of the league. The NBA cleared the Pacers staff of wrongdoing saying George exhibited none of the signs of a concussion, or at least didn’t admit them to the staff at the time.
But in a game where he had been off already (1-of-11 shooting) he floated through the remainder and didn’t really play with his usual aggression. Should the team doctors have noticed this? The coaches? Do the tests need to be changed — should he have at least gone back to the locker room for a more thorough examination?
It’s a good discussion to have, because a player with a concussion should not be back on the court.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 18
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12