May 22, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The Knicks really didn’t have the assets (read: draft picks) to make this work, but now Phil Jackson’s Brian Shaw dream is dead.
That is straight from the mouth of the Nuggets’ president Josh Kroenke, speaking with Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
“Brian has said publicly – and privately to us – that his desire is to be here, and we feel strongly about him as our coach,” Kroenke told Yahoo Sports. “I don’t foresee a scenario or circumstance where he’s going to be anywhere but with the Nuggets next season.”
The Nuggets brought him in to coach and it’s hard to judge just how he would have done in a Nuggets season where Danilo Gallinari never played and JaVale McGee missed much of the season due to injuries. Get them healthy, add a lottery pick (No. 11) and the Nuggets become a bigger threat in the crowded West.
As for the Knicks… how about that Derek Fisher?
The elimination of Shaw, a long-time Jackson assistant and player with the Los Angeles Lakers, keeps Oklahoma City guard Derek Fisher as the frontrunner for the Knicks job, league sources said.
That confirms what we and everyone has been hearing. At this point just a few more playoff games and Jackson will get the chance to talk to Fisher. Jackson wants a leader he can mold and someone who shares his vision of a culture for an organization, something he is trying to establish in New York. Fisher fits that bill.
The question is, does Fisher want to do it?
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4