May 22, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
This wasn’t a great rookie class.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s acknowledge the guys who had the best rookie seasons — the NBA has announced its All-Rookie teams (as voted on by 125 media members). Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams and runner-up Victor Oladipo were the leading vote getters, not surprisingly.
These guys may not be future All-Stars but the guys who made the cut look to be solid NBA rotation players for their teams for years to come. Giannis Antetokounmpo is the one guy who could prove that last sentence wrong, the Bucks forward may be the best player out of this class in three years and his ceiling is almost as high as he can leap.
Here is the list:
NBA All-Rookie First Team (Team and points)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (Team and points)
Others receiving votes: Ben McLemore, Sacramento, 63 (4); Pero Antic, Atlanta, 62 (10); Nick Calathes Memphis, 39 (2); Ryan Kelly, L.A. Lakers, 29; Matthew Dellavedova, Cleveland, 20 (3); Nate Wolters, Milwaukee, 20; Ray McCallum, Sacramento, 8; Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Detroit, 6; Hollis Thompson, Philadelphia, 5; Tony Snell, Chicago, 4; Phil Pressey, Boston, 2; Anthony Bennett, Cleveland, 1; Reggie Bullock, L.A. Clippers, 1; Robert Covington, Houston, 1; Alex Len, Phoenix, 1; C.J. McCollum, Portland, 1; Shabazz Muhammad, Minnesota, 1; Andre Roberson, Oklahoma City, 1; Jeff Withey, New Orleans, 1.
Yes, Anthony Bennett got a second team vote, that came from Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News. Ask him, I don’t know.
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 14
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 7
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16