May 22, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
This wasn’t a great rookie class.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s acknowledge the guys who had the best rookie seasons — the NBA has announced its All-Rookie teams (as voted on by 125 media members). Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams and runner-up Victor Oladipo were the leading vote getters, not surprisingly.
These guys may not be future All-Stars but the guys who made the cut look to be solid NBA rotation players for their teams for years to come. Giannis Antetokounmpo is the one guy who could prove that last sentence wrong, the Bucks forward may be the best player out of this class in three years and his ceiling is almost as high as he can leap.
Here is the list:
NBA All-Rookie First Team (Team and points)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (Team and points)
Others receiving votes: Ben McLemore, Sacramento, 63 (4); Pero Antic, Atlanta, 62 (10); Nick Calathes Memphis, 39 (2); Ryan Kelly, L.A. Lakers, 29; Matthew Dellavedova, Cleveland, 20 (3); Nate Wolters, Milwaukee, 20; Ray McCallum, Sacramento, 8; Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Detroit, 6; Hollis Thompson, Philadelphia, 5; Tony Snell, Chicago, 4; Phil Pressey, Boston, 2; Anthony Bennett, Cleveland, 1; Reggie Bullock, L.A. Clippers, 1; Robert Covington, Houston, 1; Alex Len, Phoenix, 1; C.J. McCollum, Portland, 1; Shabazz Muhammad, Minnesota, 1; Andre Roberson, Oklahoma City, 1; Jeff Withey, New Orleans, 1.
Yes, Anthony Bennett got a second team vote, that came from Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News. Ask him, I don’t know.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25