May 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
A few NBA teams with coaching vacancies — we’re looking at you, Cleveland Cavaliers — are looking hard at college coaches who could make the jump to the Association.
If you’re doing that, Florida coach Billy Donovan needs to be on your list. He has the Xs and Os chops and he can motivate. He’s a good coach, not just a recruiter.
Donovan told the Associated Press that he did get some calls, but he’s not moving on.
Billy D says "I've spoken to a couple of NBA teams," but adds he's happy at Florida—
Mark Long (@APMarkLong) May 22, 2014
Well, at least yet. He’s intrigued. Here are his expanded comments to the Associated Press.
“I got into coaching because of the basketball piece of it, and there is an intrigue as it relates to (the NBA),” Donovan, who led Florida to two national championships, said. “When you try to project where your future is, where you’re going to be, and you don’t know because I don’t have a crystal ball, all I can say is I am happy here at Florida. I love being here.
“The NBA part of it, the intrigue part of it for me, is just the fact that it’s basketball 24 hours a day. That’s all you’re dealing with is basketball.”
Donovan just led the Florida Gators back to the Final Four, he’s in a good spot. When a coach is in one of those elite college jobs where they are making good money and are comfortable they only reason they leave is the itch for the NBA (or a shakeup at the school). And even then they can be picky about the job they take.
Donovan sounds like he has that itch. He’s just not ready to scratch it.
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 0
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 39
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 30
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91