May 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Serge Ibaka has a blog.
As you all know, I suffered an injury in the sixth game of the Conference Semifinals against the Los Angeles Clippers. This means I am not able to play in the Conference Finals against the San Antonio Spurs. It’s a difficult moment because this is the most important time of the year. All the work done during the summer and preparation during the season is focused on being ready and at your best when the Playoffs arrive, so it’s obviously disappointing not to be able to help my team on the court.
If that wasn’t clear enough, here is what Thunder coach Scott Brooks said at shootaround on Wednesday morning before Game 2, via Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman.
Ibaka injured his calf in the game against the Clippers, a strain serious enough it will take weeks to recover.
The Spurs 66 points in the paint and 25-of-29 shooting in the restricted area in Game 1 shows just how much Ibaka’s length and defensive presence is missed. He cleans up a lot of Thunder defensive mistakes and with him not there Brooks was scrambling trying to find lineups that worked, once that could both defend the Spurs and put points on the board.
If Brooks doesn’t find something that works before Game 2 this could be a shorter series than we all predicted.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25