May 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Mike Dunleavy isn’t your typical hot coaching candidate. He hasn’t coached in four years, hasn’t had a winning record in eight years and has a career losing record in 16 seasons.
Yet, the Knicks and Lakers are reportedly interested, and talks with Los Angeles are advancing.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Dunleavy encapsulates the retread label. He’s 60, bringing a perception that he has little room to grow, and his previous level of coaching wasn’t that high.
Maybe the Lakers see something in him. There’s no harm in talking to him.
But Dunleavy probably isn’t the answer in Los Angeles. He’d provide a false sense of security and little else.
It’s too early to stress Dunleavy. The Lakers search will likely be wide, and I expect Dunleavy to be only one interview of many.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2