May 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Mike Dunleavy isn’t your typical hot coaching candidate. He hasn’t coached in four years, hasn’t had a winning record in eight years and has a career losing record in 16 seasons.
Yet, the Knicks and Lakers are reportedly interested, and talks with Los Angeles are advancing.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Dunleavy encapsulates the retread label. He’s 60, bringing a perception that he has little room to grow, and his previous level of coaching wasn’t that high.
Maybe the Lakers see something in him. There’s no harm in talking to him.
But Dunleavy probably isn’t the answer in Los Angeles. He’d provide a false sense of security and little else.
It’s too early to stress Dunleavy. The Lakers search will likely be wide, and I expect Dunleavy to be only one interview of many.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10