May 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Mike Dunleavy isn’t your typical hot coaching candidate. He hasn’t coached in four years, hasn’t had a winning record in eight years and has a career losing record in 16 seasons.
Yet, the Knicks and Lakers are reportedly interested, and talks with Los Angeles are advancing.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Dunleavy encapsulates the retread label. He’s 60, bringing a perception that he has little room to grow, and his previous level of coaching wasn’t that high.
Maybe the Lakers see something in him. There’s no harm in talking to him.
But Dunleavy probably isn’t the answer in Los Angeles. He’d provide a false sense of security and little else.
It’s too early to stress Dunleavy. The Lakers search will likely be wide, and I expect Dunleavy to be only one interview of many.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18