May 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Mike Dunleavy isn’t your typical hot coaching candidate. He hasn’t coached in four years, hasn’t had a winning record in eight years and has a career losing record in 16 seasons.
Yet, the Knicks and Lakers are reportedly interested, and talks with Los Angeles are advancing.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Dunleavy encapsulates the retread label. He’s 60, bringing a perception that he has little room to grow, and his previous level of coaching wasn’t that high.
Maybe the Lakers see something in him. There’s no harm in talking to him.
But Dunleavy probably isn’t the answer in Los Angeles. He’d provide a false sense of security and little else.
It’s too early to stress Dunleavy. The Lakers search will likely be wide, and I expect Dunleavy to be only one interview of many.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 5
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 10
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4