May 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Mike Dunleavy isn’t your typical hot coaching candidate. He hasn’t coached in four years, hasn’t had a winning record in eight years and has a career losing record in 16 seasons.
Yet, the Knicks and Lakers are reportedly interested, and talks with Los Angeles are advancing.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Dunleavy encapsulates the retread label. He’s 60, bringing a perception that he has little room to grow, and his previous level of coaching wasn’t that high.
Maybe the Lakers see something in him. There’s no harm in talking to him.
But Dunleavy probably isn’t the answer in Los Angeles. He’d provide a false sense of security and little else.
It’s too early to stress Dunleavy. The Lakers search will likely be wide, and I expect Dunleavy to be only one interview of many.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 7
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 7
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 19
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64