May 21, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Alvin Gentry is going to have options.
The former NBA head coach spent the last season as Doc Rivers’ lead assistant with the Clippers, his primary duty being directing what became the league’s best offense, but as the NBA coaching carousel cranks up Gentry has a few teams knocking on his door, wanting to talk.
Los Angeles Clippers associate head coach Alvin Gentry is expected to soon interview for the Utah Jazz’s head-coaching vacancy, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey arrived in Los Angeles on Wednesday to see predraft workouts. The Jazz have already interviewed Chicago Bulls assistant coach Adrian Griffin, but have been deliberate in their process to hire a new head coach.
Cleveland Cavaliers GM David Griffin — who worked with Gentry when both were in Phoenix — also has contacted Gentry and wants to set up an interview.
Spears had reported earlier in the day that if current Memphis coach Dave Joerger bolts for Minnesota — there will be an interview this week — Gentry would be on the Grizzlies’ short list as well.
If none of that pans out, both Golden State (next to Steve Kerr) and Sacramento would like to poach Gentry as their top assistant coach. Of course, Doc Rivers wants to keep him around, too.
It’s good to have options.
Gentry has 12 seasons experience as a head coach, having spent time in the big chair in with the Clippers and in Phoenix, plus he has done interim stints in Miami and Detroit. He has a career .475 winning percentage, and is known for coaching up-tempo offenses (a little pace is something the Jazz could use).
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 11