Report: Andrew Wiggins the Cavaliers’ likely choice at No. 1

May 21, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Tyler Ennis, Andrew Wiggins Tyler Ennis, Andrew Wiggins

Andrew Wiggins? Jabari Parker? Joel Embiid? Even Dante Exum?

Who will the Cleveland Cavaliers take No. 1?

Cavaliers general manager David Griffin insists there’s no clear-cut top choice, but that could just be posturing.

Chad Ford of ESPN:

sources in Cleveland say that Wiggins is the likely choice. The team feels he has the most long-term potential, helps them defensively right out of the gate, can replace Dion Waiters in the starting lineup while adding character to the team.

The Cavaliers should do their due diligence on Wiggins, Parker, Embiid and everyone else. Wiggins isn’t that far above the other contenders – though he could probably jump over them.

Parker was more productive in college, making him the safer choice.  If Embiid gets a clean bill of health, he’d certainly be tempting.

If Wiggins is the likely choice now, that doesn’t mean he’ll remain the pick by draft night. It just means Parker and Embiid are fighting uphill battles. They have to prove they’re more valuable prospects than Wiggins – hardly an easy task.

1. opinevain - May 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM

They do need a 3, but he is not a 2 and is not worthy of replacing Waiters in the line up. I guess trade Waiters then

• bigmeechy74 - May 21, 2014 at 11:20 AM

yeah waiters is irreplaceable

• lowpostfootwork - May 22, 2014 at 2:32 AM

Don’t like Waiters? Who can do better? There’s only been a hand full of good SG’s drafted in last 5 years

(Tyreke Evans, James Harden, Evan Turner, Lance Stephenson, Jimmy Butler, Iman Shumpert Bradley Beal, Hardaway Jr.)

The rest are suffocating on a bench, or vanished from the league. You don’t like 15ppg, on 29mpg? Other teams would love to have it…. and that’s with a shoot first PG and a clueless coach.

• bigmeechy74 - May 22, 2014 at 2:58 PM

There is obviously something seriously wrong with this team. no one is untouchable except kyrie. Dion waiters may turn out to be really good and I hope he does. But to act like he is awesome is kinda silly

2. 4thquartermagic - May 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM

“With the first pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select….

Rodney Hamilton.”

… Who???

Exactly.

• asimonetti88 - May 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Watch them draft Dougie McDermott

• rrhoe - May 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Lmao,that’s funny…..

• jeffkx - May 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Get a good laugh guys. That GM is gone. New Sheriff in town. Nice try though. It will be Embiid, Parker or Wiggins.

• southbeachtalent - May 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

So when are they hiring Mike Brown again?

hahahahaha

3. gmfw7 - May 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM

he could replace waiters in the starting lineup?? yea, except they don’t play the same position and a change for wiggins to 2 guad isn’t likely considering his jump shot and ball handling skills need serious improvement.

• kookiebuger - May 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM

His jumpshot mechanics are excellent he’s just inconsistent.

4. aboogy123456 - May 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM

since there won’t be an article about how it didn’t work for the Lakers, I’ll say that I’m really hoping they get Marcus Smart at 7. Utah at 5 already has a point guard, so it all depends on the Celtics at 6 and what they do with trading the pick or trading Rondo.

• rrhoe - May 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I would love to see Marcus Smart go to the Lakers too…..

• unxpexted1 - May 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I wouldn’t mind Marcus, but if Vonleh is available…….

• aboogy123456 - May 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Who do you like more as of now, Vonleh or Randle? I might like Vonleh because he has much better length, but Randle is more athletic and can take guys off the dribble. I’m going to research those three players very closely because I think that’s going to be the Lakers’ decision.

• unxpexted1 - May 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Ah man that’s tough aboogy….I think Randle is the better player, BUT i think Vonleh might be a better fit for the lakers long term. I like his versality offensivley and fit with Kobe right now, and i think he’s a better player to build around whereas randle needs a diff set of of parts to thrive. I like him as a Laker big man compared to Randle, doesn’t seem like a Laker.

• loungefly74 - May 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM

several mocks have Lakers taking Vonleh. the kid has an incredible wingspan. i’d be cool with him.

• 00maltliquor - May 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM

@ boogy

I was thinking the saaame thing. Although I already predicted the Lakers were for sure getting screwed out the top 6, it doesn’t make it any less disappointing. This draft is deep but there are only 6 players I really would be happy with selecting to make up for such a horrible season.

I’m not sure Smart will be around by 7 but here’s another prediction…because the Lakers didn’t get the top 6, we can kiss the 7th goodbye as they trade it away for a couple lower picks or even a player (Kevin Love?).

5. rrhoe - May 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Cleveland has had more than enough opportunities to be a competitive team,here’s to hoping they don’t screw this up. Bring in Wiggins and Parker and whichever one gets along with Kyrie Irving I would take(being quite cynical here…..).

• unxpexted1 - May 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I think Jabari is the better player….but to your post, I think Wiggins is the better fit. Wiggins seems to have more of a laid back personality, where you can kind of tell jabari wants to be the man. Kyrie already clashes with Dion, doubt adding jabari would be a good fit for personality reasons only.

• tv63 - May 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM

THAT ( the fake Dion vs Kyrie) wasn’t the Cavs problem of failing to get in playoffs. They need BIGS, PF & better shooting, better coach who doesn’t strangle them on offense.

6. garypagetwo - May 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Bucks and 76ers will benefit in the long run .

7. mvp43 - May 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM

As a Bucks fan, Im glad they got the 2nd pick. Takes the pressure off and they’ll still end up with a great player. I’m hoping for Parker though……… He’s an exciting player who can help right away.

• thatsjustchipper - May 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

As a Sixers fan I’m really hoping the Bucks take Parker too

8. tmatic74 - May 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM

If the Cavs don’t take Embid they are plain stupid. A 7 footer who is being compared to Tim Duncan and Akeem Olajuwon. I hope my Sixers get him but I just don’t want to believe two teams are that stupid.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - May 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Not taking the 7 footer with back problems already would be plain stupid?
      Care to tell me the last 7 footer with back problems already that turned out to be a great pick?

• balsagna - May 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Drummond have a stress fracture in his back as well?

• imnotyourbuddyguy - May 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

That wasn’t before the draft, it was last year, and it didn’t require surgery, and Drummond isn’t a 7 footer

• pharohislife - May 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Not to mention, even though he’s technically not a 7 footer but another big that had Back Problems coming into the draft was Jared Sullinger and his numbers have increased every season and has been fully healthy this past season. 13 and 8 this past season.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - May 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

LOL K, ya great stories
        One is 6’9 and the other 6’10

• imnotyourbuddyguy - May 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Don’t get me wrong, Joel might be a great player for a long time, that would be awesome. But don’t tell me he isn’t one bad medical away from falling out of the top 5.

• 00maltliquor - May 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Did y’all forget about Nerlens Noel already? lol

You really want TWO 7 foot centers who may be injury-riddled their whole careers?

• thatsjustchipper - May 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Eh. Embiid is twice the prospect Noel is. Already more polished. Bigger body. David Robinson didn’t stop the Spurs from taking Duncan.

We already lost on the Bynum gamble, still waiting on Noel, so why not go for the trifecta with Embiid??

PS I don’t think he’ll even be available

• 00maltliquor - May 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Duncan worked with Robinson because he’s a PF and Robinson a C. Both Embiid and Noel are only (or should only) be C’s unless you want a Pistons type mismatch. Embiid does appear to be twice/3x the player but I think Noel deserves a chance. Could be very good. Not franchise changing but a solid piece to a winning puzzle.

9. csbanter - May 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM

What report ? I guess this writer is watching First Take like I am, when they happened to mention Wiggins was first on Chad Ford big board. So because Chad Ford The Chad Ford says the Cavs should take Wiggins the Cavs are taking Wiggins.

Even Chris Broussard and his sources didn’t jump the gun on this.

10. justwannawinna - May 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Honestly as a Sixers fan id hope Hinkie finds a way to get the top pick otherwise its a wasted season. Wiggins does have the potential but I dont think the Cavs will opt to go that route.. the best case scenario for the 76ers is that the Cavs get really stupid and would trade the top pick for thad young and the tenth and maybe a second round pick or 2. But I highly doubt that cause its not like a video game. But if that were to happen sam hinkie would probably get a statue made in his honor. It would make sense if the Cavs want a forward tweener who brings lots of energy and can score and defend pretty well and a few picks to help build a more complete roster. Or trade the 3rd pick and thad for the 1st pick; either way two birds one stone. Thad wants out and Cavs could use a leader and good forward.. but like I said probably won’t happen.

• sasquash20 - May 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I was on the Wiggins Wagon but after his 6 shot exit from the tourney Im glad my Sixers wont get him. I dont think he has the heart of a warrior. He disapears way too much for me. Embiid is the game changer. If his back checks out then he should be the pick. I like Parker but defense and conditioning are real concerns. Should be interesting

• balsagna - May 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I think you are beyond delusional if you think the trade outlined above has even the remotest chance of happening. No offense.

• justwannawinna - May 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I wouldn’t put it past the Cavs seeing their dumb draft day picks of recent excluding Kyrie Irving who was the consensus top pick. But yes it is wishful thinking. But something I can see occurring is the Cavs picking someone else outside the three of wiggins, parker, and embid.

• thatsjustchipper - May 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I could see them taking Thad, the #3, a future first, maybe two. Maybe they go #10 pick, MCW, Thad, future first for #1, take Wiggins and then Exum at 3…total rebuild. These scenarios have about a .0074% chance of happening…but we’ve seen stranger things occur

11. jeffkx - May 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I’m guessing David Griffin just finally came off Cloud 9..I doubt he or anyone close to him has time to text/call anyone and tell him who they will be picking in a month..oh and btw local Cavs writer said Parker is the pick, and another ESPN guy said Embiid so let’s all calm down a bit.

12. tmatic74 - May 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

This draft reminds me of the Oden and Durant draft. Oden was the player with all the upside but Durant was the flat out baller every time he stepped on the floor. Parker is the Durant and Embid/Wiggins is the Oden.

• 1historian - May 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM

You know who agrees with you? Sam Smith – “not even close”

13. muathjam21 - May 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Gotta take Andrew Wiggins. Joel Embiid would be tempting if healthy, but man is it hard for me to trust drafting a big man with all of their injury problems.

14. tmatic74 - May 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I’ll roil the dice on having twin towers and getting a wing player with the 10th pick. Embid had one injury and now he’s injury prone? Maybe his agent told him he had a bad back and to sit out until payday.

15. campcouch - May 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Wiggins is a better on the ball defender and has a nice mid range jumper. Parker can bully his way in the lane and get his shot off,like a young Barkley, but I don’t know if that’s what Cleveland needs. There’s a lot of drooling over Embiid,but so far the league is still dominated by guards,small forwards and stretch fours. I have no idea how he’s gotten compared to Olajuwon or even Serge Ibaka, C’mon,no one knew about Ibaka except the Supersonic scouts lol. Regardless,the “experts” say all three are stars so unless they dilweed it up,they’ll get some kind of serviceable player. And now that Bennett had surgery for his apnea and presumably will be in better shape,the Cavs may at least improve 10 games.

16. harshedmellow - May 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Jeez guys…. Cleveland already has a #1 overall pick at SF in Bennett. Why draft Parker?

Oh right. Because Bennett sucks, lol.

A fascinating trio from which to choose. Wiggins- athletic freak with questionable heart; Parker- instant solid rotation guy but have we seen his ceiling? And Embid- could be the Next Big Thing, could be the next Greg Oden.

17. bbk1000 - May 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Wow, another #1 for the Cavs…..hard to believe….no, not really…..

The NHL did this for the Pens for a while and they became a good team, who knows, this may actually work….

18. 1historian - May 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I think my Celts are going to get either Gordon, Randle or Vonleh with the 6th pick.

Or

They might trade both their #1 picks up to get Parker.

Or

They might get one of the three mentioned and then trade #17 and some young talent to Houston to get Aziz.

Or

they might do something else.

This is always the most interesting time of year for an NBA fan whose team is out of the playoffs or never was.

DA promised us ‘fireworks’ this summer.

The first shot has been fired.

19. hiflew - May 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

This is a weird article because ESPN is reporting that Embiid is #1 on Cleveland’s draft board. I don’t know which article to believe, therefore I will believe neither of them is correct. It doesn’t matter who everyone thinks the #1 pick is on May 21st. All of this speculation is just to give people something to talk about until the draft.

Just my two cents though, I think Cleveland should take Parker because I think Wiggins is overrated (but should still be good) and Embiid will be a bust. Again just my two cents.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches