May 21, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
George has been diagnosed with a concussion, the Pacers have announced. That makes his status for Game 3 uncertain — he will have to go through the league’s concussion protocol and be cleared to play not only by the Pacers’ doctor but also the league’s neurologist.
The Pacers say that after the play George “exhibited no symptoms of a concussion” and denied feeling dizzy or feeling nauseous, or any of the other signs of a concussion. That is why he was allowed to continue playing in what became a Miami win to even the series (the league said there will be no punishment as the team followed the league procedure).
After George said post game he had blacked out, more tests were run. Here is what the Pacers said in their press release:
He has been dialed by the team’s consulting neurologist with a concussion, based on his post-game reported that he had briefly lost consciousness during the game.
That means before he can be cleared to play he has to pass a series of mental tests after increasing levels of physical exertion (the findings are compared to a baseline taken before the season).
The Pacers and Heat are off until Saturday, when Game 3 takes place in Miami. The extra time off means it is more likely George could be cleared to play (compared to if the teams played Thursday, for example) but it depends on his recovery.
George struggled to score 14 points on 16 shots in Game 2 Tuesday, but over the course of the playoffs he has averaged 21.5 points per game on a True Shooting Percentage of .570.
Without George and on the road in Miami picking up a win would be difficult for the Pacers, who would miss George’s perimeter defense on one end and shot creation on the other.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 37
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5