Dr. J admits to being ‘perplexed’ when Sixers were revealed as having 10th pick at NBA Draft Lottery

May 21, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT

NEW YORK – The Philadelphia 76ers were slated in to have the second overall pick in the draft before the results of Tuesday night’s lottery were revealed, and had the second best chance of landing the top overall pick based on lottery probabilities.

But thanks to the Jrue Holiday trade with the Pelicans last summer, the Sixers also were set to receive the 10th pick from New Orleans, as long as it didn’t land in the top five — something that apparently wasn’t conveyed to Julius Erving, who was Philadelphia’s representative on stage at ESPN’s Times Square studios.

Dr. J clearly had no idea what was going on when the card featuring the Philadelphia logo was revealed by deputy commissioner Mark Tatum as he announced where the 10th pick was headed, and the topic was good for a chuckle afterward from Sixers GM Sam Hinkie.

“They sort of pulled the okie-doke with the change in the logos,” Hinkie said. “They did the same with the Magic and the Knicks pick (at 12). I think maybe some people weren’t ready for that. I told some of our friends around us: That’s good. That’s us. Don’t worry.”

Erving admitted to being confused initially by the possibility that his team could have fallen so far, given the odds going in.

“When I saw 10, I was perplexed,” Erving said. “What the heck? We’ve got the second-most ping pong balls and we’re 10? I almost felt bad, but then (Orlando Magic representative) Pat Williams gave me the light, and when they started announcing what had happened and that we had the tenth pick, then it was OK.”

1. bucrightoff - May 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I admit to being something other than perplexed when I got a look at the daughter of the Bucks owner. Best thing on the Bucks ever maybe.

• au1978 - May 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM

TMI, dude.

• antistratfordian - May 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

249 twitter followers yesterday – 37,000 twitter followers today.

2. thatsjustchipper - May 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM

How about the guy running the graphics getting to #10, then just calling YOLO and checking out for the rest of the segment?? Ballsy.

3. turnmymicup - May 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I’ve never liked the NBA Lottery system. Worst teams have the most balls in the bucket but can still get the shaft. They should have it set up worst team to best. None of that play the percentages crap.

• spursareold - May 21, 2014 at 2:33 PM

So, you want taking to automatically pay off? That’s how Houston got Sampson and Olajuwan #1 in back to back years. That’s what CAUSED the lottery to happen.

• xmen1906 - May 21, 2014 at 3:18 PM

To be fair, it was a coin flip. So it was 50/50 on getting the 1st pick

• sportsfan18 - May 21, 2014 at 7:44 PM

two headed coins aren’t exactly fair you know…

4. eugenesaxe1 - May 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I guess the good Doctor isn’t all that interested in today’s 76ers, he should’ve known that.

5. jattsoorma - May 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM

what an idiot

6. nard100 - May 21, 2014 at 4:00 PM

It’s the Sixers, cluelessness is the order of the day. that why they don’t have a champoinship since ’83. Don’t get me started!

• jimeejohnson - May 23, 2014 at 12:17 PM

No cheesesteak for you!

7. mvp43 - May 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I’m not sure how old the Bucks owners daughter is, but I need to work on my low post game.

8. courtjester1234 - May 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM

How about that smokin hot babe from the Kings. All teams should start sending eye candy for draft lottery and draft day

9. dirtyjerseysports - May 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Doc was like I know its fixed but can they move us back 6 spots? LOL

10. ProBasketballPundit - May 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Good news, everybody. Mallory Edens (Bucks owner’s daughter) is 18! That means we can say all the perverted stuff we want about her.

• jimeejohnson - May 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Save that theet for CantonPeaBrain.

11. stoptrippn - May 21, 2014 at 10:50 PM

She’s 18. Chill

12. ebecks34 - May 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Here’s the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-3CiayVWdY

Skip to 1:20. It’s hilarious

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches