May 21, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
No, this is not a highlight video of the Spurs Game 2 rout of the Thunder. It just feels like it.
We often give lip service to the “you have to appreciate how the Spurs play the game” idea but it doesn’t resonate with a lot of fans. The simple fact is two crisp passes that become an open lay-up doesn’t have the drama of a contested dunk, or a fade-away three with a hand in your face — make no mistake, the lay-up is by far the better basketball play, but it’s not the dramatic one. We are drawn to drama. We are drawn to the exciting finisher at the rim and not the player who can alter or change those shots, even though the latter is of equal value.
The Spurs are the art of basketball. When the Spurs play it, basketball is the beautiful game. This video helps show that.
Embrace it. There’s a long way to go but right now they look like your next NBA champions.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 13
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 19
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 5
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 38
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22