Report: Memphis Grizzlies gauging interest in Kentucky coach John Calipari, prepared to make substantial offer
May 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
The Memphis Grizzlies, in the midst of a complete management overhaul, are reportedly looking at the Kentucky coach even though they still have Dave Joerger.
Brian Geltzeiler of HoopsCritic.Com
I believe Calipari likes hearing his name mentioned for NBA jobs. It helps with recruiting and feeds his ego.
But I also believe, after a failed stint with the New Jersey Nets in the 1990s, he wants another shot in the pros.
It might be difficult for him to convince an NBA team to take him, considering how bad the Nets were under his watch and how much his college teams rely on a talent advantage. But the Grizzlies just might be crazy enough to do it. They’re crazy enough to do everything else they’ve done this week.
Calipari has ties to the city, previously coaching the University of Memphis. The Grizzlies also have a roster full of talented veterans who might react well to Calipari’s style.
I don’t think Calipari is an NBA-caliber head coach, but as far as attainable jobs, this might be the best he gets. If he wants another chance in the NBA – even though he has a strong team in place at Kentucky next season – this might be his best opportunity to jump.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78