Report: Memphis Grizzlies gauging interest in Kentucky coach John Calipari, prepared to make substantial offer
May 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
The Memphis Grizzlies, in the midst of a complete management overhaul, are reportedly looking at the Kentucky coach even though they still have Dave Joerger.
Brian Geltzeiler of HoopsCritic.Com
I believe Calipari likes hearing his name mentioned for NBA jobs. It helps with recruiting and feeds his ego.
But I also believe, after a failed stint with the New Jersey Nets in the 1990s, he wants another shot in the pros.
It might be difficult for him to convince an NBA team to take him, considering how bad the Nets were under his watch and how much his college teams rely on a talent advantage. But the Grizzlies just might be crazy enough to do it. They’re crazy enough to do everything else they’ve done this week.
Calipari has ties to the city, previously coaching the University of Memphis. The Grizzlies also have a roster full of talented veterans who might react well to Calipari’s style.
I don’t think Calipari is an NBA-caliber head coach, but as far as attainable jobs, this might be the best he gets. If he wants another chance in the NBA – even though he has a strong team in place at Kentucky next season – this might be his best opportunity to jump.
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 42
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20
- Cavaliers trade Keith Bogans and a second round pick to Sixers 8