Report: Memphis Grizzlies gauging interest in Kentucky coach John Calipari, prepared to make substantial offer
May 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies, in the midst of a complete management overhaul, are reportedly looking at the Kentucky coach even though they still have Dave Joerger.
Brian Geltzeiler of HoopsCritic.Com
I believe Calipari likes hearing his name mentioned for NBA jobs. It helps with recruiting and feeds his ego.
But I also believe, after a failed stint with the New Jersey Nets in the 1990s, he wants another shot in the pros.
It might be difficult for him to convince an NBA team to take him, considering how bad the Nets were under his watch and how much his college teams rely on a talent advantage. But the Grizzlies just might be crazy enough to do it. They’re crazy enough to do everything else they’ve done this week.
Calipari has ties to the city, previously coaching the University of Memphis. The Grizzlies also have a roster full of talented veterans who might react well to Calipari’s style.
I don’t think Calipari is an NBA-caliber head coach, but as far as attainable jobs, this might be the best he gets. If he wants another chance in the NBA – even though he has a strong team in place at Kentucky next season – this might be his best opportunity to jump.
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 0
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 52
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 12