May 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
We’ve heard rumblings and reports that the NBA would implement a centralized video replay center as early as next season, in order to help the officials in the arena more efficiently determine the outcome of reviewable calls in real time.
The league has made it somewhat official, according to a survey it sent out to fans asking for opinions on what they should call this video review location.
“The NBA is in the process of building a central location to aid officials in the review of video replays during games,” the survey said, which the NBA sent out via its Fan Forum program. “The central location will aid officials in the review of video replays during games in an effort to improve the accuracy and speed by which reviews are conducted.”
We’re all for speed and accuracy of reviews, so this is undoubtedly a change for the better. But more importantly, what should we call this place? Here are the names that were suggested:
Replay Operations Center
The Operations Center
NBA Operations Center
Real Time Review Room
Rapid Response Center
Basketball Operations & Video Center
Instant Replay Center
Operations Review Room
The only one that seems silly to me is “Rapid Response Center,” but honestly, it’s unimportant what the repay center is ultimately called. If we can speed up the process and increase the accuracy of calls that fans at home seem to be able to make correctly — even when the officials in the building do not — then it’s a huge step in the right direction, and one that’s sure to improve the viewer experience.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31