May 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
We’ve heard rumblings and reports that the NBA would implement a centralized video replay center as early as next season, in order to help the officials in the arena more efficiently determine the outcome of reviewable calls in real time.
The league has made it somewhat official, according to a survey it sent out to fans asking for opinions on what they should call this video review location.
“The NBA is in the process of building a central location to aid officials in the review of video replays during games,” the survey said, which the NBA sent out via its Fan Forum program. “The central location will aid officials in the review of video replays during games in an effort to improve the accuracy and speed by which reviews are conducted.”
We’re all for speed and accuracy of reviews, so this is undoubtedly a change for the better. But more importantly, what should we call this place? Here are the names that were suggested:
Replay Operations Center
The Operations Center
NBA Operations Center
Real Time Review Room
Rapid Response Center
Basketball Operations & Video Center
Instant Replay Center
Operations Review Room
The only one that seems silly to me is “Rapid Response Center,” but honestly, it’s unimportant what the repay center is ultimately called. If we can speed up the process and increase the accuracy of calls that fans at home seem to be able to make correctly — even when the officials in the building do not — then it’s a huge step in the right direction, and one that’s sure to improve the viewer experience.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 4
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 27
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 23
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10