May 19, 2014, 1:52 AM EDT
Derek Fisher is trying hard to deflect any questions about him coaching in the future — he’s the backup point guard of a team that starts the Western Conference Finals on Monday. Derek Fisher already has plenty to focus on without thinking about whether next year he wants to play or coach or just spend a year off at home with his family.
But the buzz about Derek Fisher to the Knicks is not going away.
Phil Jackson moves at his own deliberate pace and he’s going to do that with his coaching search. It will not be hurried, nothing Jackson does is. Jackson is going to wait out Fisher and talk to him after the season, reports Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne at ESPN.
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson continues to send out signals that he’s in no rush to hire a coach until he can seriously discuss the position with Oklahoma City’s Derek Fisher, according to sources close to the process….
Sources say that in addition to Fisher, the Knicks still have interest in Denver Nuggets coach Brian Shaw but do not currently plan to ask the Nuggets’ permission to speak with him. Because league rules restrict teams to offering only cash or draft picks as compensation for coaches, and not players, sources say New York fears it likely can’t meet the Nuggets’ demands if it were to try to get Shaw out of his contract.
Can we just stop talking about Shaw to the Knicks? Not happening.
Jackson needs someone who can work with him to change the culture in New York — the organization needs a shift top to bottom. Jackson wants an extension of himself and his philosophies on the court (which is why the Mark Jackson idea is just the dream of some Knicks fans, they are oil and water as personalities). The options for Jackson are limited.
Fisher could possibly be that guy. Jackson is willing to wait to find out.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15