May 19, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
With Derrick Rose, the Bulls have seen enough knee surgeries to MVP candidates to last a lifetime.
Maybe it’s bad luck. Maybe it’s overuse. Maybe it’s style.
Whatever the issue(s), Chicago is dealing with more of it – this time with Joakim Noah.
Noah, whose recent “minor” arthroscopic surgery on his right knee involved some cartilage being removed, according to multiple sources
Having cartilage removed doesn’t sound minor, but I’m no doctor. So, I asked one for his opinion based on the excerpt above.
The cartilage in the knee is either C or O shaped. The cartilage can be damaged when it is pinched by the femur when the knee joint flexes and trusts. The edge of the C or O can shred, and the operation to remove the cartilage really means trimming the edge so it becomes smoother.
The injury can be acute or chronic. In the chronic injury, there is degeneration and wafting away of the cartilage tissue. It is a bigger deal when parts of the remaining cartilage is removed.
It may be relatively minor, but there is no such thing as minor surgery. The risk of developing arthritis later in life increases.
This doesn’t sound like a big deal unless it becomes a big deal. For now, it’s probably just something to keep in the back of your mind in case Noah looks off next season.
Unless you’re Tom Thibodeau. Then, maybe it should be at the forefront of your mind as you consider how minutes per game Noah should play.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18