May 19, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
With Derrick Rose, the Bulls have seen enough knee surgeries to MVP candidates to last a lifetime.
Maybe it’s bad luck. Maybe it’s overuse. Maybe it’s style.
Whatever the issue(s), Chicago is dealing with more of it – this time with Joakim Noah.
Noah, whose recent “minor” arthroscopic surgery on his right knee involved some cartilage being removed, according to multiple sources
Having cartilage removed doesn’t sound minor, but I’m no doctor. So, I asked one for his opinion based on the excerpt above.
The cartilage in the knee is either C or O shaped. The cartilage can be damaged when it is pinched by the femur when the knee joint flexes and trusts. The edge of the C or O can shred, and the operation to remove the cartilage really means trimming the edge so it becomes smoother.
The injury can be acute or chronic. In the chronic injury, there is degeneration and wafting away of the cartilage tissue. It is a bigger deal when parts of the remaining cartilage is removed.
It may be relatively minor, but there is no such thing as minor surgery. The risk of developing arthritis later in life increases.
This doesn’t sound like a big deal unless it becomes a big deal. For now, it’s probably just something to keep in the back of your mind in case Noah looks off next season.
Unless you’re Tom Thibodeau. Then, maybe it should be at the forefront of your mind as you consider how minutes per game Noah should play.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 11
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 23
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23