May 19, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
If the Chicago Bulls learned one thing last season, it’s that they should have some depth behind Derrick Rose.
Two seasons ago they knew they would be without Rose for much of the season if not all of it, so they got Nate Robinson, Kirk Hinrich, Marco Belinelli to give them some depth at the guard spot. This past season Bulls management thought they would have Rose so they were not as deep at the point, that became an issue when Rose went down again and D.J. Augustin became the man.
The Bulls expect a full season of Rose next go around, but they want to make sure there is depth this time around, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
That said, after two season-ending injuries in the last three years, the organization understands that they have to brace themselves for the possibility of unexpected misfortune or even just lightening Rose’s burden. Whether that means the return of Augustin, bringing back veteran Kirk Hinrich, acquiring another backup in free agency—Mavericks point guard Devin Harris has been connected to the Bulls, according to a league source—or trying to surround Rose with talent that fits his game, the front office has options.
Harris is the kind of guy the Bulls should be looking at — a slashing combo guard who can get to the rim and give you solid minutes (although his defensive tendencies may drive Tom Thibodeau crazy). Harris struggled at the start of last season coming off a toe injury but by the playoffs was a key part of the rotation for the Mavericks and looking the role of a solid veteran reserve.
Harris has said he wants a longer-term deal and he is just 31, something for three years (with a team option on the last season?) seems reasonable here. The Mavericks have hinted they want him back but the Bulls and other teams may be in the mix, also.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 1
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 12
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17