May 19, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
If the Chicago Bulls learned one thing last season, it’s that they should have some depth behind Derrick Rose.
Two seasons ago they knew they would be without Rose for much of the season if not all of it, so they got Nate Robinson, Kirk Hinrich, Marco Belinelli to give them some depth at the guard spot. This past season Bulls management thought they would have Rose so they were not as deep at the point, that became an issue when Rose went down again and D.J. Augustin became the man.
The Bulls expect a full season of Rose next go around, but they want to make sure there is depth this time around, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
That said, after two season-ending injuries in the last three years, the organization understands that they have to brace themselves for the possibility of unexpected misfortune or even just lightening Rose’s burden. Whether that means the return of Augustin, bringing back veteran Kirk Hinrich, acquiring another backup in free agency—Mavericks point guard Devin Harris has been connected to the Bulls, according to a league source—or trying to surround Rose with talent that fits his game, the front office has options.
Harris is the kind of guy the Bulls should be looking at — a slashing combo guard who can get to the rim and give you solid minutes (although his defensive tendencies may drive Tom Thibodeau crazy). Harris struggled at the start of last season coming off a toe injury but by the playoffs was a key part of the rotation for the Mavericks and looking the role of a solid veteran reserve.
Harris has said he wants a longer-term deal and he is just 31, something for three years (with a team option on the last season?) seems reasonable here. The Mavericks have hinted they want him back but the Bulls and other teams may be in the mix, also.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49