May 19, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Mark Cuban’s pop culture stardom — Mr. Shark Tank, Mr. Dancing with The Stars, Mr. vocal Dallas Mavericks owner — has reached this point:
Cuban will wave the green flag as the honorary starter of the Indianapolis 500 Sunday, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced.
Cuban is a graduate of Indiana University.
“Whether it’s winning an NBA Championship or the honor of waving the green flag to start the Indianapolis 500, there are certain sporting events that are monumental for any true sports fan,” said Cuban. “I am excited to come back to Indiana, not just to attend, but actually participate in this historic race.”
Cuban used to own one of the most popular bars in Bloomington while in college. What, you expected otherwise?
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 1
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 25
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19