May 19, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
This is the best good luck charm you can have.
The Philadelphia 76ers have a 19.9 percent chance of landing the top pick in the deep 2014 NBA Draft, the second best odds of anyone (only the Milwaukee Bucks at 25 percent have better odds). Still, this is a crap shoot — odds are just one in five times the Sixers land the coveted No. 1 pick, although with this draft if they stay within the Top 3 they should get a player who can be a big part of their foundation going forward. So what is the Sixers good luck charm?
Hall of Famer Julius Erving will represent the team Tuesday night at the NBA Draft lottery in New York, the team announced.
“Dr. J is one of the most revered and legendary figures in the history of the Philadelphia 76ers and the National Basketball Association, so it is fitting that he represent us at the podium on this exciting night,” Sixers CEO Scott O’Neil said in a released statement. “As we build for the future, we are thrilled to have a key part of our past with us to bring the team good luck during tomorrow night’s NBA Draft Lottery.”
Obviously the presence of Dr. J will not change the random number process used to determine who gets the top pick. That said, it will just be cool to see him on the stage.
This also seems like a good time to run some Dr. J highlights, because it’s always a good time to run some Dr. J highlights.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 3
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 10
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 4
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18