Scott Brooks: ‘It would make a lot of sense’ for Derek Fisher to coach the Knicks

May 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Derek Fisher AP

Now that Steve Kerr is no longer a possibility to take over the head coaching job with the Knicks, it’s widely believed that president of basketball operations Phil Jackson will look to bring in someone else with whom he similarly has an existing relationship.

Derek Fisher fits the bill, obviously, having played for Jackson during some championship seasons with the Lakers, and his name was mentioned as one that could be a frontrunner for the open position.

Fisher is still playing with the Oklahoma City Thunder, however,  and hasn’t yet ruled out a return to the court next season. Still, his current head coach sees Fisher’s potential future fit with the Knicks as a logical one.

From Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:

“Derek will make a great head coach,” Brooks told the Daily News on Saturday. “He’s smart, he knows the game and works hard. He’s also played for one of the greatest coaches in sports history . . . and I’m not talking about myself, by the way.” …

A person familiar with Phil Jackson’s thinking insists the new Knicks president will hire someone he’s either coached or worked with. According to Brooks, Fisher has not mentioned the possibility of coaching next season. In fact, Brooks claims that Fisher has not entirely closed the door on playing next season. …

“I think it would make a lot of sense for Derek to coach in New York. But there’s no rush. If they wait a few more weeks they can talk to him. I don’t think Phil would talk to him now anyway because Phil has too much respect for the game and Derek. He knows how hard it is to accomplish what we’re trying to do here. But I hope they do speak at some point.”

Fisher has always been a respected locker room leader among his teammates, and much like Jason Kidd, would likely have little trouble making the quick transformation from player to head coach.

But the most important quality he possesses, at least in terms of the potential job with the Knicks, is his prior relationship with Jackson. That more than anything is a prerequisite, it seems, to being considered for the available position.

1. cantonb0und13 - May 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Translation: “Derek Fisher should take the Knicks job, because the players thinks he’s a better coach then me.”

• cantonb0und13 - May 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM

As matter of fact, I’m pretty sure Kevin Durant wanted Kevin Ollie to become the next head coach. Durant already called out Brooks for not starting Harden when they had him.

2. zackd2 - May 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Hope the Knicks don’t lowball him.

Am I right PBT?

3. cantonb0und13 - May 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM

According to my sources, Brian Shaw will become the next head coach of the New York Knicks. It won’t be announced until end of the week. No Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw is the guy Phil wants.

• cantonb0und13 - May 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I actually have no idea. Phil is looking desperate and is looking for a puppet. If he hires Mike Dunleavy Jr. or Luke Walton, then …… I don’t know what I’ll do. I’ll probably delete my username. Knicks can’t do anything right. Doesn’t matter who the head coach is at this point, the Knicks will remain cursed with James Dolan as the owner. Kevin Love is going to the Lakers, Warriors or Bulls. L. Aldridge is not leaving Portland and D. Lillard to play for the Knicks in 2015. Only player I can see signing with the Knicks is R. Rondo. So Melo is going to wait until 2015 just to play with Rondo? Seriously? The Knicks said wait until 2010, now wait until 2015… What’s next wait for 2020? It’s a recycle that Knicks fans don’t understand. Players don’t care about playing with the Knicks, the stars likes to dominate in MSG while being the opponent. Wake up Knicks fans!

4. tccoats - May 18, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Except brian shaw is under contract with the nuggets and the knicks don’t have anything the nuggets would want in order to let shaw out of his contract….

• cantonb0und13 - May 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Or maybe the Nuggets front office is not completely sold on Shaw. If they’re not 100% committed to Shaw, then why not get rid of his contract for free?

• cantonbound13 - May 18, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Lot of time on your hands, loser?

5. bhunter1995 - May 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Why gamble on an unproven coach when there are quality coaches out there. I don’t understand why the Knicks and Lakers don’t pursue George Karl, he is clearly the best coach out there right now and when he was in the league he was the third best coach IMO behind Pop and RIvers. Seriously, why doesn’t Karl have a job in the NBA he is a very good coach and he knows how to coach young players, as a Laker fan I am hoping they go for Karl and the Knicks should as well.

• tegan3 - May 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Well, the Knicks’ goal is to keep Carmelo. That is why they won’t get George Karl. I agree though, he is hands down the best proven coach on the market by far!

6. marcusfitzhugh - May 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

As soon as Scott Brooks either buys the Knicks or gets Phil’s job, he can have a say in who gets hired as the Knicks coach. BTW, if OKC gets bounced by SA, Brooks may need a job.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches