Report: Tom Izzo was offered same 5-year, $35 million to coach and run the Pistons that Stan Van Gundy received
May 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Pistons desperately needed new leadership in both the front office and on the sidelines, and appeared to make a brilliant move toward achieving that by inking Stan Van Gundy to a long-term deal to coach the team and run it as president of basketball operations.
But the franchise almost went in an entirely different direction, reportedly offering the same level of power to someone completely unproven at the NBA level.
In a piece detailing the Timberwolves search for a head coach, one that appears to have at least one candidate identified in Sam Mitchell, it was revealed that Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo was considered for the role in Detroit that Van Gundy ultimately accepted.
Izzo was offered the same five-year, $35 million offer to coach and run the Pistons that Van Gundy eventually accepted last week. Izzo also declined when Cleveland fired Mike Brown and called for the second time in four years.
In my opinion, this would have been a complete disaster.
Izzo has proven to be an excellent coach at the college level in his 19 seasons at Michigan State, and is no doubt well-respected in Detroit due to his reputation as a winner within the state. But with zero NBA experience, either as a coach or in the front office, turning over the keys to the franchise to someone wholly unprepared for those complexities would have been extremely misguided.
Thankfully, Van Gundy accepted the position, and by his doing so, Detroit likely has itself the best front office and head coaching hire of the offseason.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 6
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10