Report: Tom Izzo was offered same 5-year, $35 million to coach and run the Pistons that Stan Van Gundy received
May 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
The Detroit Pistons desperately needed new leadership in both the front office and on the sidelines, and appeared to make a brilliant move toward achieving that by inking Stan Van Gundy to a long-term deal to coach the team and run it as president of basketball operations.
But the franchise almost went in an entirely different direction, reportedly offering the same level of power to someone completely unproven at the NBA level.
In a piece detailing the Timberwolves search for a head coach, one that appears to have at least one candidate identified in Sam Mitchell, it was revealed that Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo was considered for the role in Detroit that Van Gundy ultimately accepted.
Izzo was offered the same five-year, $35 million offer to coach and run the Pistons that Van Gundy eventually accepted last week. Izzo also declined when Cleveland fired Mike Brown and called for the second time in four years.
In my opinion, this would have been a complete disaster.
Izzo has proven to be an excellent coach at the college level in his 19 seasons at Michigan State, and is no doubt well-respected in Detroit due to his reputation as a winner within the state. But with zero NBA experience, either as a coach or in the front office, turning over the keys to the franchise to someone wholly unprepared for those complexities would have been extremely misguided.
Thankfully, Van Gundy accepted the position, and by his doing so, Detroit likely has itself the best front office and head coaching hire of the offseason.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 6
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9