Mark Jackson returning to ESPN’s NBA announcing team, will work Eastern Conference Finals

May 17, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

source:

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Lakers

Mama, there goes that man — back to the ESPN broadcasting booth.

Mark Jackson was recently relieved of his duties as head coach of the Golden State Warriors, but he hasn’t remained unemployed for very long.

From Brian Mahoney of the Associated Press:

Former Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson has agreed to a multiyear deal to rejoin ESPN’s lead NBA announcing team.

Jackson is scheduled to work the Eastern Conference finals and NBA Finals with Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy. They called the last of their five straight NBA Finals together in 2011. ESPN is making the announcement Saturday.

It’s more than likely that Jackson will be let out of this deal if a coaching opportunity should present itself, but it’s worth wondering if it might be a while before that happens. The reasons for the way things ended with the Warriors included poor relationships with assistant coaches, members of the front office and ownership, which could be a turn-off to future employers. That, along with the fact that Jackson was so quick to take a TV deal may indicate his awareness of the dry market for his services, at least in the immediate future.

1. R. Edmond - May 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Love it

• pbtunpaidwriter - May 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Mike Breen looks like he’s 75 years old. He’s barely over 50.

2. brookwell2013 - May 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

The bloviating gasbag is back! Bad enough suffering through his inane comments on Inside Trax during the games while he was coaching. Now we have to suffer through his pronouncments all game long…..what a blowhard!

• kb2408 - May 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM

To quote Iron Mike Tyson, “turn your station!”

• brianscalabrine - May 17, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Hey guys, I’m brookwell2013 and I like to include unorthodox words to make my 5-year-old brain seem smart on the Internet.

3. rustyshackleford1 - May 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM

awkward

4. goldmember21 - May 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Haha^

5. misterdreamer119 - May 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Van Gundy is better by himself. Bad move by espn. oh yeah Jeff Van Gundy looks like squidward.

6. 1harrypairatesties - May 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I can’t wait to hear Mark Jackson’s commentary on his first Warriors vs Whoever game.

7. jerdogthompson - May 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM

We’ll said brookwell, echoes my sentiment perfectly.

#InDocwetrust

8. ProBasketballPundit - May 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Hands down, man down!

I never knew what that meant but I love Mark Jackson. He was done wrong by Joe Lacop and if it was a rational world it would be Lacop suffering, not Jackson.

9. jadaruler - May 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I wonder why the Jazz haven’t picked up the phone and called Jackson. He’s a perfect fit for Utah imo.

10. theebadguy - May 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I was dreading this

11. elcapitanfiscal - May 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Will he coach i mean commentate Warriors games?

12. antistratfordian - May 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Neato. I like Jackson and JVG together. Kind of like R2D2 and C3P0. I’m not too keen on Reggie Miller, Steve Kerr or Jon Barry. I do like Chris Webber. They need him on Inside the NBA. They need more of him everywhere, actually.

• wfon1 - May 17, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Im not keen on Reggie Miller either, to put it mildly. Thumbs up if you agree. Thumbs down if you like Reggie Miller as commentator.

13. aboogy123456 - May 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM

for all you people who like Mark Jackson as a commentator, do you like to learn about basketball when you watch the game? I guess Im spoiled from listening to Stu Lantz but I love basketball and want to learn, and I never learn anything listening to jackson.

• musician0785 - May 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Stu Lantz is the worst, between him and Billy Mac, I watch Laker games on Mute…..Mychal Thompson > Stu Lantz

• 00maltliquor - May 18, 2014 at 3:18 AM

I can’t believe I just read that^

That’s the biggest lie I’ve ever read on here.

• musician0785 - May 19, 2014 at 12:19 AM

THE WORST

• musician0785 - May 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM

its not a lie i put the tv on mute and listen to the radio broadcast via the internet

14. rodyaugu - May 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Momma there goes that man again!

15. brookwell2013 - May 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Brian’S, give me your address and I’ll send you a dictionary to look up words you don’t understand. You can look up unorthodox, too. Moron.

16. pike573 - May 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Hmm, well… I didn’t know that people enjoyed Mark Jackson commentary.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches