May 17, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s no secret that the Lakers need help at every position, after concluding a campaign that saw them struggle to put up 27 wins, the lowest in franchise history since the team moved to Los Angeles in 1960.
By the time the season was finished, there were seemingly random players wearing the purple and gold, the majority of whom will be long gone before next season begins.
The Lakers have just three players signed to guaranteed contracts for the coming season, and this year’s draft appears to be one of the deepest to come along in quite some time. It makes sense, then, that the team may look to acquire additional picks in order to begin to rebuild its roster.
Because of the rookie class’ potential, [Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak] said he may seek acquiring additional first-round draft picks.
“We may look to get a pick some other way because we have guys we interviewed who aren’t going to be gone before the second round, but they’ll be around after (our current pick),” Kupchak said. “You only get so many assets in this league. Draft picks are an asset. There’s cap room, draft picks and players. Those are assets you can use to rebuild a team.”
L.A. doesn’t have much to offer in the way of trade, but is slotted for the sixth overall pick in the draft, pending the outcome of Tuesday’s NBA Draft Lottery. There’s a 21.5 percent chance that pick could move up into the top three, or an extremely minimal chance that it could slip as low as nine.
The position of that pick will determine exactly what Kupchak has to offer, and whether or not he feels it’s in the team’s best interest to move it in exchange for multiple picks later in the draft.
The Lakers will try to attract established star-level players through free agency, both this summer and next, because patience to undergo a lengthy rebuild is nonexistent for one of the league’s most storied franchises. But the draft comes first, and it’s clear Kupchak will be very active leading up to it in doing everything he can to add talent to a depleted Lakers roster.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13