May 17, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Following the Thunder’s series-clinching victory over the Clippers, Kevin Durant did his customary walk-off interview and as soon as it was over, he removed his shoes and jogged over to deliver them to a courtside fan in attendance.
The recipient of the shoes was none other than professional golfer and two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson.
The two have apparently grown to become fast friends, via Jason Sobel of GolfChannel.com:
“I sent some messages back to Kevin Durant, when that article came out, or the headline came out, which was one of the dumbest headlines I’ve ever seen. [A recent headline in the Daily Oklahoman called him “Mr. Unreliable.”] I guess it worked, because it inspired him a little bit, or maybe it’s my text message that inspired him. We’ll go with that.”
Not a bad perk for a fellow professional athlete — courtside seats, game-worn shoes, and a friendship with the NBA’s reigning MVP.
[via Larry Brown Sports]
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 4
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 4
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 16
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6