May 17, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Following the Thunder’s series-clinching victory over the Clippers, Kevin Durant did his customary walk-off interview and as soon as it was over, he removed his shoes and jogged over to deliver them to a courtside fan in attendance.
The recipient of the shoes was none other than professional golfer and two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson.
The two have apparently grown to become fast friends, via Jason Sobel of GolfChannel.com:
“I sent some messages back to Kevin Durant, when that article came out, or the headline came out, which was one of the dumbest headlines I’ve ever seen. [A recent headline in the Daily Oklahoman called him “Mr. Unreliable.”] I guess it worked, because it inspired him a little bit, or maybe it’s my text message that inspired him. We’ll go with that.”
Not a bad perk for a fellow professional athlete — courtside seats, game-worn shoes, and a friendship with the NBA’s reigning MVP.
[via Larry Brown Sports]
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15