May 17, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Following the Thunder’s series-clinching victory over the Clippers, Kevin Durant did his customary walk-off interview and as soon as it was over, he removed his shoes and jogged over to deliver them to a courtside fan in attendance.
The recipient of the shoes was none other than professional golfer and two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson.
The two have apparently grown to become fast friends, via Jason Sobel of GolfChannel.com:
“I sent some messages back to Kevin Durant, when that article came out, or the headline came out, which was one of the dumbest headlines I’ve ever seen. [A recent headline in the Daily Oklahoman called him “Mr. Unreliable.”] I guess it worked, because it inspired him a little bit, or maybe it’s my text message that inspired him. We’ll go with that.”
Not a bad perk for a fellow professional athlete — courtside seats, game-worn shoes, and a friendship with the NBA’s reigning MVP.
[via Larry Brown Sports]
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18