May 17, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Following the Thunder’s series-clinching victory over the Clippers, Kevin Durant did his customary walk-off interview and as soon as it was over, he removed his shoes and jogged over to deliver them to a courtside fan in attendance.
The recipient of the shoes was none other than professional golfer and two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson.
The two have apparently grown to become fast friends, via Jason Sobel of GolfChannel.com:
“I sent some messages back to Kevin Durant, when that article came out, or the headline came out, which was one of the dumbest headlines I’ve ever seen. [A recent headline in the Daily Oklahoman called him “Mr. Unreliable.”] I guess it worked, because it inspired him a little bit, or maybe it’s my text message that inspired him. We’ll go with that.”
Not a bad perk for a fellow professional athlete — courtside seats, game-worn shoes, and a friendship with the NBA’s reigning MVP.
[via Larry Brown Sports]
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4