May 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo has been the subject of multiple trade rumors over the past few seasons, for a variety of ever-changing reasons. His name once again came up, in a report saying that his availability in a deal may be at an all-time high, mainly because Rondo will be an unrestricted free agent following the conclusion of next season.
With the Celtics in the middle of what may be a lengthy rebuilding process, there will be tough decisions made on both sides. Boston will need to determine if Rondo will be worth the near max deal he’ll require, and Rondo will need to figure out whether he wants to stick around while the team tries to improve, or bolt to try to be a part of a more immediate winning situation somewhere else.
Celtics GM Danny Ainge would be wise to pursue all of his options to avoid seeing Rondo leave without getting anything in return, but that doesn’t mean Rondo is likely to be dealt. Ainge refuted the latest report, while Celtics head coach Brad Stevens chalked it up to his team’s being out of playoff contention, and people needing something to talk about.
“I think as far as the rumor mill goes, we were out out it early,” Stevens said, in an interview with A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. “We didn’t make the playoffs, so we’ve got to have something to speculate about, I guess, right? But it’s all speculation. Nothing has come across my plate. We’re excited about having him, excited about him really having a great year next year.”
Due to Rondo’s impending free agency, the speculation isn’t going to go away anytime soon, and in fact, it will continue throughout next season — or at least until the trade deadline passes.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6