May 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo has been the subject of multiple trade rumors over the past few seasons, for a variety of ever-changing reasons. His name once again came up, in a report saying that his availability in a deal may be at an all-time high, mainly because Rondo will be an unrestricted free agent following the conclusion of next season.
With the Celtics in the middle of what may be a lengthy rebuilding process, there will be tough decisions made on both sides. Boston will need to determine if Rondo will be worth the near max deal he’ll require, and Rondo will need to figure out whether he wants to stick around while the team tries to improve, or bolt to try to be a part of a more immediate winning situation somewhere else.
Celtics GM Danny Ainge would be wise to pursue all of his options to avoid seeing Rondo leave without getting anything in return, but that doesn’t mean Rondo is likely to be dealt. Ainge refuted the latest report, while Celtics head coach Brad Stevens chalked it up to his team’s being out of playoff contention, and people needing something to talk about.
“I think as far as the rumor mill goes, we were out out it early,” Stevens said, in an interview with A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. “We didn’t make the playoffs, so we’ve got to have something to speculate about, I guess, right? But it’s all speculation. Nothing has come across my plate. We’re excited about having him, excited about him really having a great year next year.”
Due to Rondo’s impending free agency, the speculation isn’t going to go away anytime soon, and in fact, it will continue throughout next season — or at least until the trade deadline passes.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8