May 16, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Things appeared to be progressing toward a deal, but eventually Van Gundy chose the Pistons job, likely due to the control that came with it. But he made it clear in an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show that he was never offered the Golden State job, and that from the moment he met with the ownership in Detroit, that was the position that had 100 percent of his interest.
“This was the job, Detroit, that I was focused on from the minute I met Tom Gores and his partner at Platinum Equity, Mark Barnhill,” Van Gundy said. “We met for six-and-a-half hours a little less than two weeks ago, and I was impressed with him, his vision, our philosophies –what we believe in terms of organizational structure were all very similar. I was sold on his passion to turn things around.”
Listen to Van Gundy’s entire interview in the video clip above.
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 4
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 9
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 21
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6