May 16, 2014, 8:31 PM EST
Things appeared to be progressing toward a deal, but eventually Van Gundy chose the Pistons job, likely due to the control that came with it. But he made it clear in an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show that he was never offered the Golden State job, and that from the moment he met with the ownership in Detroit, that was the position that had 100 percent of his interest.
“This was the job, Detroit, that I was focused on from the minute I met Tom Gores and his partner at Platinum Equity, Mark Barnhill,” Van Gundy said. “We met for six-and-a-half hours a little less than two weeks ago, and I was impressed with him, his vision, our philosophies –what we believe in terms of organizational structure were all very similar. I was sold on his passion to turn things around.”
Listen to Van Gundy’s entire interview in the video clip above.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8