May 16, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Things appeared to be progressing toward a deal, but eventually Van Gundy chose the Pistons job, likely due to the control that came with it. But he made it clear in an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show that he was never offered the Golden State job, and that from the moment he met with the ownership in Detroit, that was the position that had 100 percent of his interest.
“This was the job, Detroit, that I was focused on from the minute I met Tom Gores and his partner at Platinum Equity, Mark Barnhill,” Van Gundy said. “We met for six-and-a-half hours a little less than two weeks ago, and I was impressed with him, his vision, our philosophies –what we believe in terms of organizational structure were all very similar. I was sold on his passion to turn things around.”
Listen to Van Gundy’s entire interview in the video clip above.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11