May 16, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Things appeared to be progressing toward a deal, but eventually Van Gundy chose the Pistons job, likely due to the control that came with it. But he made it clear in an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show that he was never offered the Golden State job, and that from the moment he met with the ownership in Detroit, that was the position that had 100 percent of his interest.
“This was the job, Detroit, that I was focused on from the minute I met Tom Gores and his partner at Platinum Equity, Mark Barnhill,” Van Gundy said. “We met for six-and-a-half hours a little less than two weeks ago, and I was impressed with him, his vision, our philosophies –what we believe in terms of organizational structure were all very similar. I was sold on his passion to turn things around.”
Listen to Van Gundy’s entire interview in the video clip above.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 24
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 11
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 5
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0