May 16, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
Things appeared to be progressing toward a deal, but eventually Van Gundy chose the Pistons job, likely due to the control that came with it. But he made it clear in an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show that he was never offered the Golden State job, and that from the moment he met with the ownership in Detroit, that was the position that had 100 percent of his interest.
“This was the job, Detroit, that I was focused on from the minute I met Tom Gores and his partner at Platinum Equity, Mark Barnhill,” Van Gundy said. “We met for six-and-a-half hours a little less than two weeks ago, and I was impressed with him, his vision, our philosophies –what we believe in terms of organizational structure were all very similar. I was sold on his passion to turn things around.”
Listen to Van Gundy’s entire interview in the video clip above.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49