May 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Did you play for, coach with or scout for Phil Jackson with the Lakers or Bulls?
If yes, do you want a job with the Knicks?
Knicks GM Steve Mills huddled with Scottie Pippen for about 15 minutes Thursday at the draft combine to gauge the legendary Bull’s interest in potentially working for the organization in some capacity, possibly as an assistant coach, according to an NBA source.
Is this really what James Dolan is paying Jackson $60 million to do, hire his friends?
A coaching search that started and ended with Steve Kerr was way too narrow, but even with Kerr spurning New York for Golden State, the Knicks are still focused only on former Jackson players.
It really looks like Jackson is looking for a lackey (which makes you wonder what the Warriors saw in Kerr). Jackson is relinquishing so little power to his next head coach, he’s already plotting assistant-coaching hires himself.
I suppose it’s possible all the best potential Knicks employees – including Pippen, who currently serves as an advisor to the Bulls – previously worked with or for Jackson. But maybe if Jackson shopped from a bigger pool of candidates, he’d give himself a better chance of making the best hires.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 6
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10