May 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Did you play for, coach with or scout for Phil Jackson with the Lakers or Bulls?
If yes, do you want a job with the Knicks?
Knicks GM Steve Mills huddled with Scottie Pippen for about 15 minutes Thursday at the draft combine to gauge the legendary Bull’s interest in potentially working for the organization in some capacity, possibly as an assistant coach, according to an NBA source.
Is this really what James Dolan is paying Jackson $60 million to do, hire his friends?
A coaching search that started and ended with Steve Kerr was way too narrow, but even with Kerr spurning New York for Golden State, the Knicks are still focused only on former Jackson players.
It really looks like Jackson is looking for a lackey (which makes you wonder what the Warriors saw in Kerr). Jackson is relinquishing so little power to his next head coach, he’s already plotting assistant-coaching hires himself.
I suppose it’s possible all the best potential Knicks employees – including Pippen, who currently serves as an advisor to the Bulls – previously worked with or for Jackson. But maybe if Jackson shopped from a bigger pool of candidates, he’d give himself a better chance of making the best hires.
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 15
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 4
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 36
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 62
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 58
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40