May 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Did you play for, coach with or scout for Phil Jackson with the Lakers or Bulls?
If yes, do you want a job with the Knicks?
Knicks GM Steve Mills huddled with Scottie Pippen for about 15 minutes Thursday at the draft combine to gauge the legendary Bull’s interest in potentially working for the organization in some capacity, possibly as an assistant coach, according to an NBA source.
Is this really what James Dolan is paying Jackson $60 million to do, hire his friends?
A coaching search that started and ended with Steve Kerr was way too narrow, but even with Kerr spurning New York for Golden State, the Knicks are still focused only on former Jackson players.
It really looks like Jackson is looking for a lackey (which makes you wonder what the Warriors saw in Kerr). Jackson is relinquishing so little power to his next head coach, he’s already plotting assistant-coaching hires himself.
I suppose it’s possible all the best potential Knicks employees – including Pippen, who currently serves as an advisor to the Bulls – previously worked with or for Jackson. But maybe if Jackson shopped from a bigger pool of candidates, he’d give himself a better chance of making the best hires.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 35
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38