May 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Did you play for, coach with or scout for Phil Jackson with the Lakers or Bulls?
If yes, do you want a job with the Knicks?
Knicks GM Steve Mills huddled with Scottie Pippen for about 15 minutes Thursday at the draft combine to gauge the legendary Bull’s interest in potentially working for the organization in some capacity, possibly as an assistant coach, according to an NBA source.
Is this really what James Dolan is paying Jackson $60 million to do, hire his friends?
A coaching search that started and ended with Steve Kerr was way too narrow, but even with Kerr spurning New York for Golden State, the Knicks are still focused only on former Jackson players.
It really looks like Jackson is looking for a lackey (which makes you wonder what the Warriors saw in Kerr). Jackson is relinquishing so little power to his next head coach, he’s already plotting assistant-coaching hires himself.
I suppose it’s possible all the best potential Knicks employees – including Pippen, who currently serves as an advisor to the Bulls – previously worked with or for Jackson. But maybe if Jackson shopped from a bigger pool of candidates, he’d give himself a better chance of making the best hires.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10