May 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Did you play for, coach with or scout for Phil Jackson with the Lakers or Bulls?
If yes, do you want a job with the Knicks?
Knicks GM Steve Mills huddled with Scottie Pippen for about 15 minutes Thursday at the draft combine to gauge the legendary Bull’s interest in potentially working for the organization in some capacity, possibly as an assistant coach, according to an NBA source.
Is this really what James Dolan is paying Jackson $60 million to do, hire his friends?
A coaching search that started and ended with Steve Kerr was way too narrow, but even with Kerr spurning New York for Golden State, the Knicks are still focused only on former Jackson players.
It really looks like Jackson is looking for a lackey (which makes you wonder what the Warriors saw in Kerr). Jackson is relinquishing so little power to his next head coach, he’s already plotting assistant-coaching hires himself.
I suppose it’s possible all the best potential Knicks employees – including Pippen, who currently serves as an advisor to the Bulls – previously worked with or for Jackson. But maybe if Jackson shopped from a bigger pool of candidates, he’d give himself a better chance of making the best hires.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 8
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1