May 16, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Mo Williams was the most reliable player off the bench for the Blazers this season, and has a player option on his deal that would allow him to remain in Portland next season.
But Williams has played 11 NBA seasons, and knows he might be facing his last opportunity to secure a multi-year, guaranteed contract. For that reason, he’s planning on opting out of the final year of his deal with the Blazers to become an unrestricted free agent.
Trail Blazers sixth man Mo Williams said he will opt out of the final year of his two-year contract with the Blazers and become a free agent this summer.
But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to return to Portland. …
“I’m going into my 12th year, so I’d love to get a contract,” Williams said. “This is, in my opinion, my last one. After that, I’ll be a guy that’s hanging on by the last string, getting my one-year deal in, trying to get as many of those as I can. So this is my last time to get a three-year deal. I’ve got three good years left in me.”
Williams wasn’t phenomenal, but he was certainly somewhere beyond serviceable. He averaged 9.7 points and 4.3 assists in 24.3 minutes per game, while logging the most assists by any backup player in the NBA last season.
The Blazers overachieved this year, but faced a perfect matchup in the Rockets in the first round of the playoffs before getting a strong dose of reality against the Spurs in what was essentially a five-game sweep.
Williams was a key piece of the team’s rotation, but Portland may be able to do better. And so might Williams in terms of a multi-year deal to play somewhere else.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32