Mo Williams says he’ll opt out of final year with Blazers to become a free agent

May 16, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Golden State Warriors Portland Trail Blazers v Golden State Warriors

Mo Williams was the most reliable player off the bench for the Blazers this season, and has a player option on his deal that would allow him to remain in Portland next season.

But Williams has played 11 NBA seasons, and knows he might be facing his last opportunity to secure a multi-year, guaranteed contract. For that reason, he’s planning on opting out of the final year of his deal with the Blazers to become an unrestricted free agent.

From Joe Freeman of The Oregonian:

Trail Blazers sixth man Mo Williams said he will opt out of the final year of his two-year contract with the Blazers and become a free agent this summer.

But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to return to Portland. …

“I’m going into my 12th year, so I’d love to get a contract,” Williams said. “This is, in my opinion, my last one. After that, I’ll be a guy that’s hanging on by the last string, getting my one-year deal in, trying to get as many of those as I can. So this is my last time to get a three-year deal. I’ve got three good years left in me.”

Williams wasn’t phenomenal, but he was certainly somewhere beyond serviceable. He averaged 9.7 points and 4.3 assists in 24.3 minutes per game, while logging the most assists by any backup player in the NBA last season.

The Blazers overachieved this year, but faced a perfect matchup in the Rockets in the first round of the playoffs before getting a strong dose of reality against the Spurs in what was essentially a five-game sweep.

Williams was a key piece of the team’s rotation, but Portland may be able to do better. And so might Williams in terms of a multi-year deal to play somewhere else.

1. seattlesuperchronic - May 16, 2014 at 10:24 PM

A lot of teams would be lucky to have Williams coming off the bench.

2. Rick Cosmo - May 17, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Mo be trollin’…depends..

3. campcouch - May 17, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I wonder if he was getting $7.25 an hour? I’m looking for a contract…did he work for free?

• duhwighthoward - May 17, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Go back inside your trailer.

4. mackcarrington - May 17, 2014 at 1:32 AM

If Derek Fisher can hang on for 15 years, this guy can.

5. jacobk621 - May 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM

@bhunter ,, so you find out who Jim is and you wanna beat him up ,,, whoa !! A 5 foot 5 guy ,, and your calling him out ?? Tough guy you are !! BTW I’m 6 foot 190 give me a call !!

6. jacobk621 - May 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM

@bhunter ,, my bad ,, I owe you a apology !! Lookout jim is a cruddy pos !! If you do see him at lunch how about force feeding him a lil bit !!!

7. bhunter1995 - May 17, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Jim, my friend at school knows you, you told him about these comments thinking he would find them funny. Funny thing is he doesn’t and he showed me them, so next time you are sitting by yourself in your favorite corner of the lunchroom, alone as always, me and some of my bros are gonna have a chat with you.

Big man on the internet right here folks, he is about 110 lbs in real life and 5’5 is a generous estimation of his height, probably hates black people cause his stepdad is one.

Also this kid is a complete loser IRL, the stereotypical weird loner nerd, usually I wouldn’t hate on anyone for being a loner nerd but this loner nerd is a complete a hole, so he deserves it. So as I said before, watch your back when you are walking home on monday.

8. duhwighthoward - May 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Mo Williams is a nice guy. He’s certainly contributed a lot more to this country than you have.

9. blueintown - May 17, 2014 at 2:35 AM

You’re psychotic. And a bit weird.

10. reesesteel23 - May 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Haha Hilarious if true.

blueintown The racist a hole guy is psychotic? Or the guy calling him out?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches