May 16, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
Mo Williams was the most reliable player off the bench for the Blazers this season, and has a player option on his deal that would allow him to remain in Portland next season.
But Williams has played 11 NBA seasons, and knows he might be facing his last opportunity to secure a multi-year, guaranteed contract. For that reason, he’s planning on opting out of the final year of his deal with the Blazers to become an unrestricted free agent.
Trail Blazers sixth man Mo Williams said he will opt out of the final year of his two-year contract with the Blazers and become a free agent this summer.
But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to return to Portland. …
“I’m going into my 12th year, so I’d love to get a contract,” Williams said. “This is, in my opinion, my last one. After that, I’ll be a guy that’s hanging on by the last string, getting my one-year deal in, trying to get as many of those as I can. So this is my last time to get a three-year deal. I’ve got three good years left in me.”
Williams wasn’t phenomenal, but he was certainly somewhere beyond serviceable. He averaged 9.7 points and 4.3 assists in 24.3 minutes per game, while logging the most assists by any backup player in the NBA last season.
The Blazers overachieved this year, but faced a perfect matchup in the Rockets in the first round of the playoffs before getting a strong dose of reality against the Spurs in what was essentially a five-game sweep.
Williams was a key piece of the team’s rotation, but Portland may be able to do better. And so might Williams in terms of a multi-year deal to play somewhere else.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 32
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 32
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18