May 16, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
The Bobcats can’t win the NBA lottery.
But the Hornets?
Well… they can’t either. Charlotte made the playoffs for just the second time in franchise history, and its pick from the Pistons is top-eight protected.
Still, the Hornets – and not the Bobcats – have a shot at the No. 9, 10 or 11 pick from the Pistons.
This is a great change for Charlotte, which actually has historic ties to the Hornets nickname. It’s a real step up from Bobcats.
Tuesday is also a momentous day for fans everywhere – a big chance to screw up the distinctions between the Charlotte Bobcats, Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans. Some old-timers might even throw the New Orleans Jazz and Utah Jazz into the mix. Should be fun!
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 0
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 24
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 18
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 25
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 28
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 38
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29