May 16, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
The Bobcats can’t win the NBA lottery.
But the Hornets?
Well… they can’t either. Charlotte made the playoffs for just the second time in franchise history, and its pick from the Pistons is top-eight protected.
Still, the Hornets – and not the Bobcats – have a shot at the No. 9, 10 or 11 pick from the Pistons.
This is a great change for Charlotte, which actually has historic ties to the Hornets nickname. It’s a real step up from Bobcats.
Tuesday is also a momentous day for fans everywhere – a big chance to screw up the distinctions between the Charlotte Bobcats, Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans. Some old-timers might even throw the New Orleans Jazz and Utah Jazz into the mix. Should be fun!
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 4
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28