May 16, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
The Bobcats can’t win the NBA lottery.
But the Hornets?
Well… they can’t either. Charlotte made the playoffs for just the second time in franchise history, and its pick from the Pistons is top-eight protected.
Still, the Hornets – and not the Bobcats – have a shot at the No. 9, 10 or 11 pick from the Pistons.
This is a great change for Charlotte, which actually has historic ties to the Hornets nickname. It’s a real step up from Bobcats.
Tuesday is also a momentous day for fans everywhere – a big chance to screw up the distinctions between the Charlotte Bobcats, Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans. Some old-timers might even throw the New Orleans Jazz and Utah Jazz into the mix. Should be fun!
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 36
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 37
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17