Charlotte Bobcats to become Charlotte Hornets on Tuesday

May 16, 2014, 2:52 PM EST

The Bobcats can’t win the NBA lottery.

But the Hornets?

Well… they can’t either. Charlotte made the playoffs for just the second time in franchise history, and its pick from the Pistons is top-eight protected.

Still, the Hornets – and not the Bobcats – have a shot at the No. 9, 10 or 11 pick from the Pistons.

This is a great change for Charlotte, which actually has historic ties to the Hornets nickname. It’s a real step up from Bobcats.

Tuesday is also a momentous day for fans everywhere – a big chance to screw up the distinctions between the Charlotte Bobcats, Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans. Some old-timers might even throw the New Orleans Jazz and Utah Jazz into the mix. Should be fun!

1. Dogsweat - May 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM

The Charlotte Hornets should of never left, it is great to see the NBA rectify this great basketball city with their retro name back. Of course years ago, there were the ABA’s Carolina Cougars.

Charlotte Hornets is perfect!!

Now let’s work on Seattle.

• money2long - May 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Lol. Should of

• moseskkim - May 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM

i knoww thats the only grammar issue that gives me chills. should of instead of should’ve/should have chillsssssss

• ranfan12 - May 16, 2014 at 8:22 PM

it sucks because people say them both the same way lol

• redstar504 - May 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I am glad they got their name back. That name never worked here in New Orleans and quite frankly should have been changed the moment the Hornets moved here. Alas, Shin is a moron and folks in Charlotte can back me on that. The guy moved the team here and threatened to move them every year.It is like he went out of his way to alienate his fan base.

It worked out for everyone in the end Charlotte has the Hornets back, we have a real owner down here in New Orleans and George Shin is out of the NBA.

• asimonetti88 - May 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I feel like Shinn and Jeffrey Loria would be good friends.

• redbaronx - May 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM

@dogsweat – Agreed 100%. Two franchises that never should have been moved. Hornets and Supersonics. I’d really love it if there was a Sonics team in Seattle again, and I’m not even from Seattle.

• Dogsweat - May 16, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Go Hornets!!!!

2. phluffyclouds - May 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM

It’s like a dream come true! Can’t wait!!!

3. andyp03 - May 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM

you forgot the OKC Hornets too lol

4. chicagosports2014 - May 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Fade away like MJ I gotta say today was a good day

5. mrlaloosh - May 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM

The Jazz name belongs in New Orleans.

6. ranfan12 - May 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

nice logo

7. antistratfordian - May 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I’m glad it’s back. Whoever let the name leave the city in the first place probably didn’t appreciate the history behind it. The city should’ve negotiated to keep the name available – a la Seattle and the Supersonic moniker – in the event it obtained another franchise.

• AZ Dem - May 17, 2014 at 3:41 AM

What? I’ve got corns on my feet older than that pathetic Charlotte NBA franchise. And OKC could never use the nickname “Supersonics” because it would be stupid. That name derives from the fact that, at the time, when the franchise was first opened, the largest employer in the area was Boeing.

• antistratfordian - May 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM

We could’ve had the Oklahoma City Sonics just like we have the Utah Jazz or the Los Angeles Lakers or the New Orleans Hornets. A sensible, appropriate name has never been a requirement. Seattle was only able to keep the Sonics brand because they negotiated it away from Clay Bennet when he was trying to buy his way out of the Key Arena lease.

And “The Hornet’s Nest” nickname for Charlotte dates back 230+ years to the Revolutionary War. That’s the history I was talking about.

8. fordmandalay - May 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Well, ‘Hornets’ is better than calling your team something stupid like ‘Pelicans’ anyway. Can you imagine any team being dumb enough to call themselves ‘Pelicans’? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG that would be idiotic….

• redbaronx - May 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM

@fordmandalay – I think Pelicans and Bobcats are the two worst team names ever. Pelicans…a harmless bird that looks goofy, and Bobcats….Hornets is much better!

9. goodtogo28 - May 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM

hopefully Ted listens to the fans and change the stupid wizards name back to the Bullets. Mrs. Pollen didn’t object to any name changes and didn’t view it as a disrespect to Abe Pollen, when asked in an interview. let’s hope Ted puts the fans ahead of political correctness and bring the historic Bullets name back to DC.

• fm31970 - May 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Especially since the Baltimore Bullets nickname came from a basketball shoe. I don’t see them ever going back to Bullets, though Wizards is probably the worst nickname in the NBA.

• redbaronx - May 16, 2014 at 9:03 PM

@goodtogo28 – Bullets isn’t happening. I’m a Washington fan since 1990 and I don’t know too many other Washington fans clamoring for Bullets to come back. I never liked Wizards either, but I have yet to hear a name that evokes Washington pride. I wish we had something easy like Detroit has with “Pistons” or Miami Heat. Warriors really would have suited Washington with all the Vets and military we have in the area. I really would have liked that name if Golden State didn’t have it.

• elcaminobilly - May 17, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Bringing back the old Nationals name…from the franchise that began in Syracuse-…would be kind of cool, but I think I heard on SportsCenter that a baseball team is using it.

• AZ Dem - May 17, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Reading this stuff, . . . makes me feel really old. The NBA Board of Governors voted on the nickname “Bullets” and found it unacceptable. The Commissioner of the NBA agreed. Washington was forced to abandon the nickname “Bullets.”

They also, during the same conference, banned a lot of the gestures that players used on the court. And they put tighter restrictions on the music played at areas.

Oh, the name “Wizards” was voted upon by the fans. Ownership did not choose it.

And, yes, I saw the Balto Bullets play. Back when they had Earl “the Pearl” Monroe.

10. realfootballfan - May 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Be nice to have the purple and teal jerseys back. Thought those were the coolest combinations back in the day.

11. the8man - May 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Awesome logo! All the best to the Queen City. Charlotte getting the recognition it deserves as the financial center of the South.

Go Celtics!

12. elcaminobilly - May 17, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Glad to have the Charlotte Hornets back. The very first NBA game I found when I was 12 years old was a Knicks-Hornets game.

13. haaaaasoooooo - May 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Time to break out my Gramama jersey!!!

14. rajbais - May 17, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Bring back the teal stripes!!!!

15. bhunter1995 - May 17, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Jim, my friend at school knows you, you told him about these comments thinking he would find them funny. Funny thing is he doesn’t and he showed me them, so next time you are sitting by yourself in your favorite corner of the lunchroom, alone as always, me and some of my bros are gonna have a chat with you.

Big man on the internet right here folks, he is probably 110 lbs in real life and 5’5 is a generous estimation of his height, probably hates black people cause his stepdad is one.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches