May 15, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The first we knew of Tyreke Evans having surgery came when he posted this to his Instagram account Wednesday night:
Surgery went great!! Can’t wait to start my re-hab & get back on the court with my teammates !! @van_smack on my side with the support !
The Pelicans filled in the details saying the guard “underwent minor arthroscopic surgery yesterday to clean out scar tissue in his right knee.”
He should be good to return to training in 6-8 weeks, which means he should be ready to go for training camp next fall.
Evans averaged 14.5 points a game but with a true shooting percentage of .504 last season (below the league average). Evans struggled early in the season when coach Monty Williams asked him to come off bench. Later in the season, when injuries had ravaged the Pelicans roster and he was pushed up into the starting lineup and got the ball in his hands more, he put up good numbers. Still, there are questions about where he fits in the plans long term in New Orleans.
Evans has three years and $32.2 million left on his contract, one that will be difficult to move if that’s what GM Dell Demps wanted to do.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 3
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 15
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 4
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 36
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23