May 15, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The first we knew of Tyreke Evans having surgery came when he posted this to his Instagram account Wednesday night:
Surgery went great!! Can’t wait to start my re-hab & get back on the court with my teammates !! @van_smack on my side with the support !
The Pelicans filled in the details saying the guard “underwent minor arthroscopic surgery yesterday to clean out scar tissue in his right knee.”
He should be good to return to training in 6-8 weeks, which means he should be ready to go for training camp next fall.
Evans averaged 14.5 points a game but with a true shooting percentage of .504 last season (below the league average). Evans struggled early in the season when coach Monty Williams asked him to come off bench. Later in the season, when injuries had ravaged the Pelicans roster and he was pushed up into the starting lineup and got the ball in his hands more, he put up good numbers. Still, there are questions about where he fits in the plans long term in New Orleans.
Evans has three years and $32.2 million left on his contract, one that will be difficult to move if that’s what GM Dell Demps wanted to do.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 0
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 18
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28