Magic Johnson: ‘I could be an owner tomorrow’

May 15, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

NLCS - Los Angeles Dodgers v St Louis Cardinals - Game One Getty Images

Magic Johnson spent most of his interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper earlier this week discussing Donald Sterling.

But Johnson – in light of his own reported desire to buy the Clippers – also addressed his desire to own an NBA team.

Johnson:

I could be an owner tomorrow. I could have been an owner. My friends who own Golden State asked me to join them. I could have been an owner of the Golden State Warriors. My friend Tom Gores owns Detroit Pistons. I could be an owner tomorrow with the Pistons. He asked me to come be part-owner of the Detroit Pistons.

What I really would want to do is own the Lakers.

Magic Johnson actually previously owned a share of the Lakers, but he wanted a larger role with a team, so he sold it.

His hometown Pistons and the Warriors – co-owned by one of his partners with the Dodgers, Peter Guber – have stable ownership. Likely, both wanted Johnson to own a small piece of the team, similar to his set up with the Lakers. Johnson is a talented businessman, but in that role, his main value would have been as a team ambassador.

If Johnson wants more responsibility and accepts that the Buss Family won’t sell the Lakers anytime soon, he could try to buy the Clippers. Johnson reiterated to Cooper that he and his partners might have interest.

But Johnson – this is where his business sense comes in – knows the Clippers’ sale could be delayed by Sterling suing. That’s why he’s not tipping his hand too much.

He’s at least interested enough, though, that he’s not buying a share of the Pistons and taking himself out of the running.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

2. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

3. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

4. Flip Saunders: Kevin Garnett will start for Timberwolves

Jul 30, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett AP

Will Karl-Anthony Towns, Nikola Pekovic or Gorgui Dieng start beside him?

5. Flip Saunders still maintains he planned to keep Kevin Love until Andrew Wiggins offer

Jul 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Lottery Getty Images

Timberwolves apparently weren’t just going to trade Love for whatever they could get

6. Mark Cuban: NBA would have punished Tom Brady more harshly than Roger Goodell did

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Mark Cuban

Suspending Patriots quarterback for a quarter of the season was bare minimum for Mavericks owner

7. Report: Team USA uncertain whether Dwight Howard, John Wall will attend minicamp

Jul 30, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT

Dwight Howard, John Wall AP

Jerry Colangelo said attendance was mandatory to be considered for 2016 Olympic team

8. Adam Silver: NBA on track to play regular-season games in Africa

Jul 30, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm0ndlhnjzlyjziyjk4otqxymqym2y5yzrintq4yjm1 AP

NBA commissioner confident Africa will get a preseason game

9. Thabo Sefolosha: Too soon to say when I’ll play again

Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT

Thabo Sefolosha AP

Hawks wing says his leg and ankle feel better

10. 76ers sign Richaun Holmes

Jul 30, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers: Richaun Holmes Portrait Getty Images

Philadelphia drafted Holmes in second round

11. Matt Barnes ready to “foul the beep” out of DeAndre Jordan when Grizzlies, Clippers meet

Jul 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthkoty3ytfmn2fjnjvlyjeyytc0mwvlngi0nwqyzmjh AP

Barnes is a perfect fit in for the “grit and grind” style of the Grizzlies.

12. Wesley Matthews says Trail Blazers never made him an offer, “I was pissed off”

Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Portland not making a call means they knew Aldridge was gone and it was time to rebuild.

13. Report: Rockets sign Chuck Hayes to one-year deal

Jul 30, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

The Rockets have nice depth up front.

14. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

15. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

Top 10 NBA Player Searches