Deron Williams says he may need surgery on both ankles this summer

May 15, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Brooklyn Nets - Game Four Getty Images

Let’s start here: Brooklyn owes Deron Williams $63 million over the next three seasons. Fully guaranteed.

Williams is a good point guard — 16 points a game, true shooting percentage of .564, 6.1 assists to 2.2 turnovers a game — but he is no longer great. Physically his chronic ankle issues have slowed him, he is not the same guy as the one offered that massive contract.

And things are not getting a whole lot better — he said he likely needs surgery on both ankles again this summer.

An MRI is coming Friday but Williams seems to think there will be surgery, he told ESPNNewYork.com.

“I think so. I think it is,” Williams replied Thursday when asked about the possibility of undergoing surgery. “Just to clean [stuff out], it’s nothing major.”

Three times this season Williams had PRP blood platelet injections and cortisone injections in his ankle, he also had an anti-inflammatory injection before Game 7 against the Raptors. All of that allowed him to play, but he’s not the player that used to be discussed in the same sentence as Chris Paul.

Williams was frustrated in the wake of the Nets loss to the Heat — point guard is a position where teams try to exploit the Heat but Williams didn’t take great advantage of that.

“I feel like I’ve kind of let people down, so I don’t like feeling like that,” Williams said. “I take my job seriously, I work hard in the offseason, I work hard every day. It’s just real frustrating not to be able to play how I’m capable of playing.”

The Nets are in a bind this summer, with a massive payroll for an aging roster. There are only a couple ways they can realistically improve, and a healthy Deron Williams is one of them.

1. CrownsDownFootball420 - May 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM

In order for Deron Williams to no longer be great, he would have to have been great to begin with… which he never was. Nets way over paid and Deron Williams has always been over hyped. It was easy for him to stand out because when he was with the Jazz there wasn’t much talent around him.

• apkyletexas - May 15, 2014 at 9:33 PM

In the 2007 playoffs, he was GREAT. Of course, that was seven years ago…

• sugarkeyboards - May 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM

those jazz teams had Carlos Boozer/Andrei Kirilenko/Al Jefferson in their primes, I’m not saying he was playing with a team of all stars but there were some really good players on those teams. Chris Paul didnt play with much talent till he went to LA

• mytthor - May 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Tyson Chandler, David West, Peja, Birdman. Don’t kid yourself. Deron was legit when he was young, when Jerry Sloan had him on the straight and narrow.

2. csbanter - May 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM

He should’ve had the surgery this year. Why the delay ? After elimination this comes to surface. The Nets are stuck with his ankles and Brook Lopez bad foot.

• readysethike - May 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

and Joe Johnsons contract

• trevor123698 - May 15, 2014 at 10:44 PM

surgery is useless. see my comment below for the truth. and if they delete it then google “dr joel wallach joint replacement and arthritis”

• Aberam - May 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM

This is not new. NY media has talked about this quite a bit.

3. mnsadsportsfan - May 15, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Deron Williams is extremely overrated period end of story.

4. themagicfanguy - May 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Of course he does, that’s what happens when you get your ankles broken on almost every play.

5. phaden27 - May 16, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Lowry did him that bad eh?

6. bougin89 - May 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Personally I’ve had multiple ankle sprains and a fracture on my right ankle. I’ve had cortizone shots, scoped once, it’s helps for a little bit but it doesn’t last long. If you tear enough cartilage off the bone you’re never going to be the same. I feel my bone on bone ankle even just walking up one flight of stairs. In my “rec league basketball stage of life” double headers are now pretty challenging. The worst is the walk to the car afterwards once your adrenaline calms down…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches