May 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tonight Brooklyn and Portland could go fishing unless they can pull off the upset on the road.
Brooklyn Nets at Miami Heat (Heat lead series 3-1): Miami is in complete control of this series thanks to LeBron James dropping 49 on the Nets in Game 4. They can and should be able to close it out at home Wednesday. At home, the Heat should get more out of their role players but the key for the Nets is to keep the Heat out of the paint, when the Heat get shots at the rim they win, when they are jump shooters Brooklyn has a chance. The Nets could stand to move the ball more and stop running so many isolations for Joe Johnson, they need to play more uptempo on offense. Also, they were 15-of-25 from three in their Game 3 win, 5-of-22 in their Game 4 loss. They need to hit the long ball.
Portland Trail Blazers at San Antonio Spurs (Spurs lead series 3-1). Back in San Antonio, the Spurs should finish off this series tonight. If they do, they’ll have one or four more days off than the winner of Oklahoma City Thunder-Los Angeles Clippers. If Portland pulls the upset, it will likely need its stars — Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge — to play like stars. Unless Will Barton and Thomas Robinson set the tone again, but something tells me either Gregg Popovich or the Spurs’ home-court advantage will take care of those reserves.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59