Wednesday NBA Playoff previews: Will Heat, Spurs close out their series?

May 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Paul Pierce, LeBron James Paul Pierce, LeBron James

Tonight Brooklyn and Portland could go fishing unless they can pull off the upset on the road.

Brooklyn Nets at Miami Heat (Heat lead series 3-1): Miami is in complete control of this series thanks to LeBron James dropping 49 on the Nets in Game 4. They can and should be able to close it out at home Wednesday. At home, the Heat should get more out of their role players but the key for the Nets is to keep the Heat out of the paint, when the Heat get shots at the rim they win, when they are jump shooters Brooklyn has a chance. The Nets could stand to move the ball more and stop running so many isolations for Joe Johnson, they need to play more uptempo on offense. Also, they were 15-of-25 from three in their Game 3 win, 5-of-22 in their Game 4 loss. They need to hit the long ball.
—Kurt Helin

Portland Trail Blazers at San Antonio Spurs (Spurs lead series 3-1). Back in San Antonio, the Spurs should finish off this series tonight. If they do, they’ll have one or four more days off than the winner of Oklahoma City Thunder-Los Angeles Clippers. If Portland pulls the upset, it will likely need its stars — Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge — to play like stars. Unless Will Barton and Thomas Robinson set the tone again, but something tells me either Gregg Popovich or the Spurs’ home-court advantage will take care of those reserves.
—Dan Feldman

1. jaydm84 - May 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I see two teams moving on to the next round after tonight.

• packergator - May 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Spurs definitely. Will any player in Miami not named Lebron James or Chris Bosh show up tonight?

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - May 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Here’s the problem. I have something tonight that will keep me from wearing the lucky shirt and watching from the lucky TV at game time. May not be home until 8:30-9:00. So I’m not feeling good about the game.

You laugh? Was in the right place in right shirt 7 out of 8 playoff games. Guess which one I wasn’t prepared for? And this isn’t just this playoffs. It’s been a “thing” my whole life.

So yes, I’m TiVo-ing the game. But there’s no way I’m making it to 8:30 or 9 without somebody putting the score and game in front of me.

Going to be a tough night tonight.

• miamatt - May 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I’ll break the glass and pull out my “emergency” Wade jersey, then.

Thank god I saw this comment before it was too late.

• katra2logic - May 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM

@1972wasalongtimeago: I know it is coincidence but I have felt the same way in the past. Must be part of being a real fan :-)

• fanofthegame79 - May 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

That’s unacceptable.

• sportsfan18 - May 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I’m really worried about you if you really think this matters at all…

• 1972wasalongtimeago - May 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Does anything REALLY matter?

3. jzone954 - May 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Regardless if the the nets get knocked out tonight, at least Jason Collins came out so there’s that….

4. fanofthegame79 - May 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM

The Heat and the Spurs will both win tonight, by double-digits.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches