May 14, 2014, 5:33 PM EST
There was a division early on in the coaching search conducted by the Golden State front office — some people (owner Joe Lacob) were very high on Steve Kerr, others thought veteran coach Stan Van Gundy was the best fit. It was those two then really nobody els
Well, Van Gundy is now both the coach and president of basketball operations of the Detroit Pistons.
Steve Kerr has not yet signed — he’s got leverage, he’s wise to drag this out and get what he can — and the Warriors are making one final push for him, reports Monte Poole at CSNBayArea,com. However, most people around the league still expect Kerr to sign to coach the New York Knicks under the tutelage of Phil Jackson.
So what is next for the Warriors?
How about Lionel Hollins? Marcus Thompson II of the San Jose Mercury News says he likely is the next Golden State target.
After Van Gundy, the next best thing available is Hollins. There is interest from Warriors management, per one source, and some in the front office might even be of the opinion the Warriors should have already locked up Hollins. So if their clear first two choices don’t pan out, Hollins will likely get some attention from the Warriors.
But, there are some fit issues.
Golden State wants an offensive guy and Hollins definitely a defense-first candidate. His best offensive rating in Memphis came in 2009-10 — 108.3 points per 100 possessions (good for 13th in 2009-10). Last season, he had the Grizzlies 17th in offensive rating (104.9)….
To that end, I’m told Hollins is going to bring on a respected offensive mind as an assistant. No doubt, the Warriors would want to approve, but one name being linked to Hollins as an offensive-guru assistant is Paul Westphal.
This is an interesting fit. If the Warriors don’t land Kerr (and they likely will not) they should take a step back, reassess, then move forward again.
But Hollins would not be a bad call.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45