May 14, 2014, 1:46 PM EST
The Utah Jazz need a coach that knows how to develop young talent. They also need a coach who can help rebuild a winning culture in the organization.
Could John Stockton be that guy?
I’m not really sure he is — he would be a hit with fans but the NBA’s all time leading assist man has zero coaching experience — however the Utah Jazz are going to reach out to their legendary player and see if he has interest in being the team’s coach, reports ESPN.
The Utah Jazz, as part of a broad coaching search expected to feature some 20 candidates, plan to reach out to Jazz legend John Stockton to gauge whether he has any interest in the position, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.
Sources told ESPN.com that Jazz officials intend to at least pose the question to the Hall of Fame guard about his willingness to move into coaching, while mindful of Stockton’s lack of previous coaching experience and the fact that he has long loathed the sort of spotlight associated with the job.
Again, I just do not see the fit. That’s not meant as a knock on Stockton, one of the great point guards to ever play the game and a guy with a fantastic basketball IQ. If he wanted to be a coach, he’d likely be very good at it. But is that what he wants? Does he just want to step in and be the head man at the NBA level right off?
Look for the Jazz to pull a respected assistant coach or maybe a college coach, again people who can help rebuild the foundation in Utah.
Spurs assistant and former University of Utah head coach Jim Boylen is the name you hear most often, but don’t be surprised if guys like Quin Snyder, Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin and others come up.
Nothing is going to happen quickly, GM Dennis Lindsey the Deseret News the team “getting closer to moving to the part where we’ll reach out.” They are not in a rush.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1