May 14, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
The Utah Jazz need a coach that knows how to develop young talent. They also need a coach who can help rebuild a winning culture in the organization.
Could John Stockton be that guy?
I’m not really sure he is — he would be a hit with fans but the NBA’s all time leading assist man has zero coaching experience — however the Utah Jazz are going to reach out to their legendary player and see if he has interest in being the team’s coach, reports ESPN.
The Utah Jazz, as part of a broad coaching search expected to feature some 20 candidates, plan to reach out to Jazz legend John Stockton to gauge whether he has any interest in the position, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.
Sources told ESPN.com that Jazz officials intend to at least pose the question to the Hall of Fame guard about his willingness to move into coaching, while mindful of Stockton’s lack of previous coaching experience and the fact that he has long loathed the sort of spotlight associated with the job.
Again, I just do not see the fit. That’s not meant as a knock on Stockton, one of the great point guards to ever play the game and a guy with a fantastic basketball IQ. If he wanted to be a coach, he’d likely be very good at it. But is that what he wants? Does he just want to step in and be the head man at the NBA level right off?
Look for the Jazz to pull a respected assistant coach or maybe a college coach, again people who can help rebuild the foundation in Utah.
Spurs assistant and former University of Utah head coach Jim Boylen is the name you hear most often, but don’t be surprised if guys like Quin Snyder, Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin and others come up.
Nothing is going to happen quickly, GM Dennis Lindsey the Deseret News the team “getting closer to moving to the part where we’ll reach out.” They are not in a rush.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15