May 14, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
And now it’s a done deal.
Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:
SVG won over ownership during a meeting in LA. Came across as prepared. Presentation broke down every player on the roster.—
Vincent Ellis (@Vincent_Ellis56) May 14, 2014
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Word is Pistons will formally announce their deal with Stan Van Gundy this morning and then introduce him at a Thursday press conference—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) May 14, 2014
I’m curious whether Van Gundy’s presentation differentiated between how he viewed each player as coach and as president – because the outlooks can, and probably should, be different.
Generally, I don’t like one person running the front office and serving as head coach. It’s a lot of work, and checks and balances can be helpful. Coaching on a day-to-day basis is an emotional exercise, and if the coach also has power to trade and waive players, that can lead to some irreversible transactions. Get mad at a player and bench him, and you can undo that whenever you want. Get mad at a player and trade him, and he’s staying traded.
But it works in San Antonio with Gregg Popovich, and Doc Rivers seems to have helped the Clippers by taking that role (though that franchise’s management was coming from a low place). Van Gundy doesn’t have the résumé of those two, but it can work in Detroit.
I’m swayed by the fact that Van Gundy is such a good coach and there were no clear-cut great front-office executives available. If this was the only way to get Van Gundy to sign on the dotted line, this was the right time to roll the dice on this setup.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21