May 14, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
If Marques Johnson was before your time, you missed getting to watch a heck of a player. The 6’8” swingman was physical inside but with a great touch on his jumper. He was the college player of the year in 1977, was the No. 3 pick in the draft and went on to have an 11-year NBA career where he was a five-time All-Star, three times made the All NBA Team, and for his career he averaged 20 points and 7 rebounds a game. He could flat out ball.
During part of that career he played for Donald Sterling’s Clippers. Back when Sterling was far more hands on in the day-to-day of the business — which led to some stunning stories.
Johnson is now an analyst for Fox Sports, and was on Fox Sports 1 Tuesday during the “America’s Pregame” show when he told his Sterling story.
“A quick story — in 1986, I had what was really a career-ending neck injury and in 1987, I lost a son in a drowning accident. An intermediary told me to call Donald because he wanted to reach out and talk to me about a contract dispute [after the season]. I called Donald up and he told me he was going to ruin me, that he was going to crush me financially, and that I needed to go ahead and settle on his terms if I wanted to have any money left. He talked to me to me like I was a piece of just bat guano.”
“Donald Sterling, Shelly Sterling, they’ve got to be relieved of their duties as owners of this basketball team. You’ve got to have a complete break in order for this thing to go away.”
There are more of these kinds of stories all over the NBA, especially from the late 1980s and into the next decade when Sterling was very involved in running the Clippers — all for a profit. He was a racist and a bully then, things have not changed now.
Johnson has some understandable anger but sounded like a lot of players past and present when talking about Sterling.
“It’s to the point now that if you’re Adam Silver, you’ve got to get this thing away from this guy by any means necessary. I don’t care how much it costs, you’ve got to get him to sell this basketball team.”
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11