May 14, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
Doc Rivers was a little worked up after the game Tuesday night. To put it mildly.
He was so frustrated over a reviewed out-of-bounds call that didn’t go his way with 11 seconds remaining in the Clippers collapse and loss that he went on a rant in his post game press conference, a tirade will have him writing a healthy check to the league (a fine is all but certain).
…Doc Rivers marched out of the locker room late Tuesday with fury in his eyes. He headed toward the interview room only to spot Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett walking past in the hallway.
“Wow!” Rivers yelled at Bennett. “Why can’t we get the right replay?”
Bennett, perhaps still stunned by his unlikely change in fortune, didn’t say a word in response and just kept walking.
Smart choice by Bennett. That was not the moment to have a detailed discussion of the out of bounds rules, or to discuss the intentional limitations of replay under the NBA’s system. There would have been no rational discussion at that moment.
Most of all, Bennett was wise not to point out that Rivers’ Clippers were up by 7 points with 49 seconds left almost all of their undoing was on their own heads.
Bennett can just keep walking, likely all the way to the Western Conference Finals now.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89