May 14, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
Doc Rivers was a little worked up after the game Tuesday night. To put it mildly.
He was so frustrated over a reviewed out-of-bounds call that didn’t go his way with 11 seconds remaining in the Clippers collapse and loss that he went on a rant in his post game press conference, a tirade will have him writing a healthy check to the league (a fine is all but certain).
…Doc Rivers marched out of the locker room late Tuesday with fury in his eyes. He headed toward the interview room only to spot Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett walking past in the hallway.
“Wow!” Rivers yelled at Bennett. “Why can’t we get the right replay?”
Bennett, perhaps still stunned by his unlikely change in fortune, didn’t say a word in response and just kept walking.
Smart choice by Bennett. That was not the moment to have a detailed discussion of the out of bounds rules, or to discuss the intentional limitations of replay under the NBA’s system. There would have been no rational discussion at that moment.
Most of all, Bennett was wise not to point out that Rivers’ Clippers were up by 7 points with 49 seconds left almost all of their undoing was on their own heads.
Bennett can just keep walking, likely all the way to the Western Conference Finals now.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 10
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68