May 13, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
This is not good for a young player trying to secure his place on the Suns roster and in the NBA.
Goodwin, 19, was leaving the Arkansas Skatium, an ice and roller rink in his hometown of Little Rock, on May 4 when the incident occurred at approximately 11 p.m., according to Arkansas State Police public information officer Bill Sadler. A state trooper witnessed Goodwin cursing and “exhibiting aggressive gestures” toward another person while exiting the building and the trooper reported telling Goodwin twice to stop cursing twice, Sadler said.
Goodwin was taken into custody but the trooper said Goodwin tried to break away from the trooper’s hold during the arrest, according to Sadler. Goodwin then was booked into a Sherwood, Ark., jail.
Goodwin just completed his rookie season with the Suns, getting into 52 games for the team. The former Kentucky player spent a little time in the D-League as the Suns hoped the young guard would put on muscle and develop a more consistent jump shot. He showed flashes of that but was a work in progress.
With the Suns eliminated from the playoffs coach Jeff Hornacek turned Goodwin loose on the Sacramento Kings in the final game of the season. Goodwin blew up for 29 points on 11-of-13 shooting and left Suns fans thinking they may have something for the future.
This will negate some of those feelings. Goodwin, taken 29th in the last NBA Draft, will be entering just the second year of his rookie contract.
Neither the Suns nor the league will take action until the legal end of this plays itself out.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 5
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3