May 13, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
This is not good for a young player trying to secure his place on the Suns roster and in the NBA.
Goodwin, 19, was leaving the Arkansas Skatium, an ice and roller rink in his hometown of Little Rock, on May 4 when the incident occurred at approximately 11 p.m., according to Arkansas State Police public information officer Bill Sadler. A state trooper witnessed Goodwin cursing and “exhibiting aggressive gestures” toward another person while exiting the building and the trooper reported telling Goodwin twice to stop cursing twice, Sadler said.
Goodwin was taken into custody but the trooper said Goodwin tried to break away from the trooper’s hold during the arrest, according to Sadler. Goodwin then was booked into a Sherwood, Ark., jail.
Goodwin just completed his rookie season with the Suns, getting into 52 games for the team. The former Kentucky player spent a little time in the D-League as the Suns hoped the young guard would put on muscle and develop a more consistent jump shot. He showed flashes of that but was a work in progress.
With the Suns eliminated from the playoffs coach Jeff Hornacek turned Goodwin loose on the Sacramento Kings in the final game of the season. Goodwin blew up for 29 points on 11-of-13 shooting and left Suns fans thinking they may have something for the future.
This will negate some of those feelings. Goodwin, taken 29th in the last NBA Draft, will be entering just the second year of his rookie contract.
Neither the Suns nor the league will take action until the legal end of this plays itself out.
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 4
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16