Magic Johnson on Donald Sterling: “He’s a man who’s upset and he’s reaching”

May 13, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT

Adam Silver, Magic Johnson Adam Silver, Magic Johnson

Now it’s Magic Johnson’s turn.

A night after embattled Clippers owner Donald Sterling sat down with Anderson Cooper in what was a public relations disaster of an interview, Magic Johnson sits down with Cooper for an interview on Tuesday to respond. You kind of know how this is going to end.

Magic gets public relations, he takes the high road.

“My whole life is devoted to urban America. So, you know I just wish he knew the facts when he’s talking. But he’s a man who’s upset and he’s reaching. He’s reaching. He’s trying to find something that he can grab on to help him save his team. And it’s not going to happen….

“I’m going to pray for the man because even if I see him today, I’m going to say hello to Donald and his wife as well. I’m not a guy who holds grudges and all that. Yes, am I upset? Of course! But at the same time, I’m a God fearing man and I’m going to pray for him and hope things work out for him.”

Here is what Sterling said about Magic, one of the lowlights of Sterling’s interview (which is saying something).

“He’s got AIDS. Did he do any business? Did he help anybody in South LA?… What kind of a guy goes to every city and has sex with every girl and he catches it, HIV, is that somebody we want to respect and tell our kids about? I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background. What does he do for the black people? The Jewish people have a company, it’s for people who want to borrow money at no interest. We want to give them a fishing pole. We want to help people. You don’t have any money, we’ll loan it to you, without any interest. One day you’ll pay us back. I’m just telling you he does nothing, he’s all talk.”

The comments caused NBA Commissioner Adam Silver to publicly apologize to Johnson.

Sterling also said in the interview Magic Johnson called him and told him to wait and not doing anything, that Magic said he would help him. Magic’s people told TMZ the opposite happened — Sterling called Magic and wanted to have him next to him in an interview, to show Sterling was not a racist and was friends with Magic. According to that report Magic said no. Decide for yourself who to believe.

Sterling clearly has an issue with Magic Johnson. It likely stems from the fact the Clippers are still “the other team” in Los Angeles while the Lakers are the stars (even despite the recent fortunes on the court, trust me as someone who lives here L.A. is a Lakers town). In the business world Magic is seen as a shining light around Los Angeles, Sterling a slumlord. It’s not that hard to see where jealousy and a vendetta might have come from.

But Magic is going to win the battle of interviews as well.

When the league eventually forces the sale of the Clippers from the Sterlings, don’t be shocked if Magic and his partners (the group that already owns the Dodgers) win the bidding process. Which would be the ultimate insult to Sterling.

Latest Posts
  1. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

2. Report: Kings have no interest in Hedo Turkoglu

Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings were never a likely landing spot.

3. Report: 76ers to sign Jordan McRae a year after stashing him

Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

What will J.P. Tokoto, future Philadelphia second-rounders think of McRae’s contract?

4. Timberwolves coach Flip Sauders returns to Twitter to say he loves three pointers

Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Flip Saunders AP

The Timberwolves roster doesn’t have a lot of quality three point shooters on it.

5. Magic guarantee Dewayne Dedmon’s contract

Aug 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Orlando keeps backup center on minimum contract

6. With Nikola Pekovic still hurt, Flip Saunders says Karl-Anthony Towns could start. Or Gorgui Dieng.

Aug 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

Saunders has a versatile front line, but does he have enough shooting to give them room to operate?

7. Michael Jordan (and a kid) beat Jimmy Butler in shooting contest (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Jordan will gloat about this to Butler for years.

8. Mavericks officially sign Summer League standout, No. 21 pick Justin Anderson

Aug 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It’s a standard rookie contract for a first-round pick.

9. Former NBA All-Star Bob Kauffman dies at age 69

Aug 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Spaulding NBA basketball Getty Images

He was a star with the Buffalo Braves (the franchise that is now the L.A. Clippers).

10. Giannis Antetokounmpo was confused when Anthony Davis talked smack, called him “kid”

Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

“Dude, what are you talking about? You’re only a year older than me!” — Giannis Antetokounmpo on Anthony Davis calling him “kid.”

11. Jahlil Okafor helps one kid dunk, brutally blocks another (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Jahlil Okafor Jahlil Okafor

Okafor is getting acquainted with his young fans in Philadelphia.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches