May 13, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Down three points inside a minute, the Nets needed a bucket, and for their play they isolated Joe Johnson (one of the best clutch players in the game) on LeBron James, who had five fouls. You can see the play above. Here is what Johnson had to say about the play after the game, via the New York Post.
“I wasn’t necessarily trying to draw the foul on him,” said Johnson, although James had five fouls while defending him, “but I thought he was aggressive, so I was just trying to use his aggressiveness against him.
“[But] he flopped that last one….
“Yeah, it did,” Johnson said, when asked if the flop threw him off. “I should’ve known they wouldn’t have called a foul, but I went into my shot anyway, so I had plenty of time.”
My thoughts on this:
Johnson, you have to make that shot. Whatever LeBron did he did not rake you across the arms, you had a clean look and you missed it. It’s a make-or-miss league and that’s a miss.
A flop is an effort to get a foul call, the referees decided this was a no-call, which strikes me as the right decision. It’s tough to tell from that camera angle, but likely Johnson made contact to create a little space and LeBron, not wanting to be too physical and pick up a sixth foul, went the other way with it. To me, that’s a good no call because out of this Johnson got a clean look at his shot.
He just missed it.
LeBron finished with 49 points to power Miami to the win and put the Heat up 3-1 in the series heading home.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35