May 13, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Down three points inside a minute, the Nets needed a bucket, and for their play they isolated Joe Johnson (one of the best clutch players in the game) on LeBron James, who had five fouls. You can see the play above. Here is what Johnson had to say about the play after the game, via the New York Post.
“I wasn’t necessarily trying to draw the foul on him,” said Johnson, although James had five fouls while defending him, “but I thought he was aggressive, so I was just trying to use his aggressiveness against him.
“[But] he flopped that last one….
“Yeah, it did,” Johnson said, when asked if the flop threw him off. “I should’ve known they wouldn’t have called a foul, but I went into my shot anyway, so I had plenty of time.”
My thoughts on this:
Johnson, you have to make that shot. Whatever LeBron did he did not rake you across the arms, you had a clean look and you missed it. It’s a make-or-miss league and that’s a miss.
A flop is an effort to get a foul call, the referees decided this was a no-call, which strikes me as the right decision. It’s tough to tell from that camera angle, but likely Johnson made contact to create a little space and LeBron, not wanting to be too physical and pick up a sixth foul, went the other way with it. To me, that’s a good no call because out of this Johnson got a clean look at his shot.
He just missed it.
LeBron finished with 49 points to power Miami to the win and put the Heat up 3-1 in the series heading home.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18