Report: Warriors, from owner to general manager, coming to believe Stan Van Gundy is best coaching choice
May 12, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Warriors owner Joe Lacob is friends with Steve Kerr. That’s why Kerr, despite weeks of reports saying he’s headed to the Knicks, keeps coming up as a candidate for Golden State’s coaching vacancy.
Or kept coming up.
Now that the Warriors reportedly believe Kerr is headed to New York, they’re focusing their search elsewhere.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Monday and Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Mutual interest between Golden State and Van Gundy was already known, so this is no huge leap, and I think it’s a good fit. Van Gundy would inject some life into the Warriors’ too-often stagnant offense while keep their defensive level high.
Van Gundy isn’t the only candidate – Lionel Hollins is set to interview, and Golden State would like a crack at Tom Thibodeau – but, by all accounts, Van Gundy appears to be the leading candidate. When you have the owner and management in your corner, that bodes well. (The opposite is also true. Just ask Mark Jackson.)
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3