Report: Warriors, from owner to general manager, coming to believe Stan Van Gundy is best coaching choice
May 12, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
Warriors owner Joe Lacob is friends with Steve Kerr. That’s why Kerr, despite weeks of reports saying he’s headed to the Knicks, keeps coming up as a candidate for Golden State’s coaching vacancy.
Or kept coming up.
Now that the Warriors reportedly believe Kerr is headed to New York, they’re focusing their search elsewhere.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Monday and Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Mutual interest between Golden State and Van Gundy was already known, so this is no huge leap, and I think it’s a good fit. Van Gundy would inject some life into the Warriors’ too-often stagnant offense while keep their defensive level high.
Van Gundy isn’t the only candidate – Lionel Hollins is set to interview, and Golden State would like a crack at Tom Thibodeau – but, by all accounts, Van Gundy appears to be the leading candidate. When you have the owner and management in your corner, that bodes well. (The opposite is also true. Just ask Mark Jackson.)
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 6
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10