Report: Warriors, from owner to general manager, coming to believe Stan Van Gundy is best coaching choice
May 12, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Warriors owner Joe Lacob is friends with Steve Kerr. That’s why Kerr, despite weeks of reports saying he’s headed to the Knicks, keeps coming up as a candidate for Golden State’s coaching vacancy.
Or kept coming up.
Now that the Warriors reportedly believe Kerr is headed to New York, they’re focusing their search elsewhere.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Monday and Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Mutual interest between Golden State and Van Gundy was already known, so this is no huge leap, and I think it’s a good fit. Van Gundy would inject some life into the Warriors’ too-often stagnant offense while keep their defensive level high.
Van Gundy isn’t the only candidate – Lionel Hollins is set to interview, and Golden State would like a crack at Tom Thibodeau – but, by all accounts, Van Gundy appears to be the leading candidate. When you have the owner and management in your corner, that bodes well. (The opposite is also true. Just ask Mark Jackson.)
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 4
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28