Report: Warriors, from owner to general manager, coming to believe Stan Van Gundy is best coaching choice
May 12, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Warriors owner Joe Lacob is friends with Steve Kerr. That’s why Kerr, despite weeks of reports saying he’s headed to the Knicks, keeps coming up as a candidate for Golden State’s coaching vacancy.
Or kept coming up.
Now that the Warriors reportedly believe Kerr is headed to New York, they’re focusing their search elsewhere.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Monday and Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Mutual interest between Golden State and Van Gundy was already known, so this is no huge leap, and I think it’s a good fit. Van Gundy would inject some life into the Warriors’ too-often stagnant offense while keep their defensive level high.
Van Gundy isn’t the only candidate – Lionel Hollins is set to interview, and Golden State would like a crack at Tom Thibodeau – but, by all accounts, Van Gundy appears to be the leading candidate. When you have the owner and management in your corner, that bodes well. (The opposite is also true. Just ask Mark Jackson.)
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9