Report: Warriors, from owner to general manager, coming to believe Stan Van Gundy is best coaching choice
May 12, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Warriors owner Joe Lacob is friends with Steve Kerr. That’s why Kerr, despite weeks of reports saying he’s headed to the Knicks, keeps coming up as a candidate for Golden State’s coaching vacancy.
Or kept coming up.
Now that the Warriors reportedly believe Kerr is headed to New York, they’re focusing their search elsewhere.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Warriors haven't had serious talks w/ Kerr in days, w/ owner Joe Lacob rapidly joining management in believing Stan Van Gundy's best choice.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) May 12, 2014
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Monday and Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Mutual interest between Golden State and Van Gundy was already known, so this is no huge leap, and I think it’s a good fit. Van Gundy would inject some life into the Warriors’ too-often stagnant offense while keep their defensive level high.
Van Gundy isn’t the only candidate – Lionel Hollins is set to interview, and Golden State would like a crack at Tom Thibodeau – but, by all accounts, Van Gundy appears to be the leading candidate. When you have the owner and management in your corner, that bodes well. (The opposite is also true. Just ask Mark Jackson.)
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 23
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 48
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 69
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 34
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8