May 12, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Steve Kerr’s agent, former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, is seeking a five-year, $30 million contract for his client.
The free-spending Knicks might just give it to him.
James Dolan is paying Phil Jackson, who’d never worked in a front office before, $60 million to be the Knicks’ president. So why not give Kerr, who’s never coached, $30 million?
But it’s not automatic New York will acquiesce.
That seems… well, logical. Kerr is a first-year coach, not a star.
But supply and demand – not logic – rule the marketplace. There’s a supply of only one Kerr, and demand is high. The Warriors and Jazz are also interested in Kerr.
Still, it doesn’t seem Kerr’s contract will interfere with the Knicks hiring him.
Steve Kerr still considers the Knicks the clear frontrunner to be his next employer and is awaiting formal contract details before any deal to make him the team’s coach can become official, an NBA source told The Post on Sunday.The Kerr camp is hoping a resolution can be reached this week, perhaps as soon as Monday or Tuesday.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Monday and Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Really, it seems this will come down to whether Kerr or New York blinks first. But this isn’t some intense staring contest.If both sides want to end up together, it will happen – whether it costs the Knicks $30 million or less.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31