May 12, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Steve Kerr’s agent, former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, is seeking a five-year, $30 million contract for his client.
The free-spending Knicks might just give it to him.
James Dolan is paying Phil Jackson, who’d never worked in a front office before, $60 million to be the Knicks’ president. So why not give Kerr, who’s never coached, $30 million?
But it’s not automatic New York will acquiesce.
That seems… well, logical. Kerr is a first-year coach, not a star.
But supply and demand – not logic – rule the marketplace. There’s a supply of only one Kerr, and demand is high. The Warriors and Jazz are also interested in Kerr.
Still, it doesn’t seem Kerr’s contract will interfere with the Knicks hiring him.
Steve Kerr still considers the Knicks the clear frontrunner to be his next employer and is awaiting formal contract details before any deal to make him the team’s coach can become official, an NBA source told The Post on Sunday.The Kerr camp is hoping a resolution can be reached this week, perhaps as soon as Monday or Tuesday.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $30,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Monday and Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 8pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.Really, it seems this will come down to whether Kerr or New York blinks first. But this isn’t some intense staring contest.If both sides want to end up together, it will happen – whether it costs the Knicks $30 million or less.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38