May 12, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
It’s good to have LeBron James on your team.
He is the ultimate trump card. He can cover so many mistakes.
With the rest of his team playing unevenly, LeBron went into what he called “attack mode” and made Paul Pierce regret asking for the defensive assignment. LeBron hit 11-of-12 shots at the rim, knocked down 3-of-6 threes, scored 49 points on 24 shots and carried the Heat against a Nets team that was playing with desperation.
Miami now leads the series 3-1 and can close it out Wednesday night back home.
LeBron’s 49 tied his career high (he would have had 50 if he hadn’t missed a free throw with one second remaining in the game. LeBron had the kind of night where you chat with Jay Z and Beyonce, then throw down a dunk.
(I bet he didn’t ask Beyonce about her sister. But he should have.)
Brooklyn put up a fight, as you should expect from a proud veteran squad. Also as should have been expected they couldn’t knock down threes at the pace they did in Game 3, going just 5-of-22 from beyond the arc in Game 4. Still, they fought back from being down nine in the third quarter to take the lead and make this a game down the stretch. Joe Johnson had 18 points (despite a hand injury in the third quarter, and Pierce had 16 points to lead the Heat.
Deron Williams had another “meh” game — 13 points on 5-of-14 shooting with seven assists and six rebounds. It wasn’t a bad game, but it wasn’t what they needed from him.
Miami’s supporting cast was pretty bland as well. Dwyane Wade was up and down but had 15 points. Chris Bosh stood around and watched LeBron work then finished with a dozen and hit a big three late. Ray Allen had 11.
But mostly, it’s good to have LeBron James on your team.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37