May 11, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Behind closed doors (if you believe the audio wasn’t intended to be leaked), Donald Sterling has been defiant and disgustingly racist.
In front of cameras, he’s carrying a different tone.
The NBA can’t have an openly racist owner – even if it’s open only due to a leaked recording. It’s bad for business.
Before Adam Silver penalized Sterling, I believed there were two possible paths.
1. If the league believed it could force out Sterling, it would.
2. If the league didn’t believe it could force out Sterling, Silver would work behind the scenes with Sterling, engineering a program that started with an apology and included therapy, Sterling choosing to match the NBA’s fine with his own donation to charity and Sterling quietly serving his suspension outside the spotlight. Afterward, the firestorm would have died down, and maybe, Sterling could own the team without major protest.
But the NBA proceeded down path No. 1, so it’s too late for No. 2 now. Any acceptance of his apology by scaling back his punishments would be seen only as forgiving racism, and the league can’t afford to be viewed that.
It’s nice Sterling apologized, and I hope it’s sincere. Years of contradictory action suggest his apology is not rooted in an enlightened understanding of racism, but it’s at least possible this was a wakeup call for him.
How should he correct the problem? Some genuine involvement in the anti-racism movement, both financially and with his time. See how Tim Hardaway Sr. handled his anti-gay comments. He learned from his mistake and has become a passionate gay-rights advocate.
Embarking on a lengthy legal battle with the NBA is Sterling’s right, but that sure isn’t going going to fix anything in the grand sense. It certainly won’t heal nay of the relationships he’s fractured.
Sterling will have a chance to prove whether his apology was sincere – or not.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Dallas originally signed Lewis, but voided his contract once it was discovered he would require knee surgery.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Cleveland, Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Toronto and Washington all simply shake their heads.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
World Peace hasn’t drawn legitimate interest from NBA teams, so he’s considering playing overseas.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Silly idea anyway.
Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks
Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Just like Love, Bennett is not going to be playing in any games this summer until a deal is done.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Sixers put a multi-year plan together based on current rules, which would be adversely affected with a quick change to the system.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
This was 100 percent guaranteed.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT
Hayward set to earn $62,965,420 over next four years
Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
“Everyone talks about match-ups (with big teams such as Spain), people have to match-up against us, too.” — USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence
Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada
Jul 29, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
Union voted in Michele Roberts instead
Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason
Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant
Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League
Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents
Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks
Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 29
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 39
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42