May 11, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Behind closed doors (if you believe the audio wasn’t intended to be leaked), Donald Sterling has been defiant and disgustingly racist.
In front of cameras, he’s carrying a different tone.
The NBA can’t have an openly racist owner – even if it’s open only due to a leaked recording. It’s bad for business.
Before Adam Silver penalized Sterling, I believed there were two possible paths.
1. If the league believed it could force out Sterling, it would.
2. If the league didn’t believe it could force out Sterling, Silver would work behind the scenes with Sterling, engineering a program that started with an apology and included therapy, Sterling choosing to match the NBA’s fine with his own donation to charity and Sterling quietly serving his suspension outside the spotlight. Afterward, the firestorm would have died down, and maybe, Sterling could own the team without major protest.
But the NBA proceeded down path No. 1, so it’s too late for No. 2 now. Any acceptance of his apology by scaling back his punishments would be seen only as forgiving racism, and the league can’t afford to be viewed that.
It’s nice Sterling apologized, and I hope it’s sincere. Years of contradictory action suggest his apology is not rooted in an enlightened understanding of racism, but it’s at least possible this was a wakeup call for him.
How should he correct the problem? Some genuine involvement in the anti-racism movement, both financially and with his time. See how Tim Hardaway Sr. handled his anti-gay comments. He learned from his mistake and has become a passionate gay-rights advocate.
Embarking on a lengthy legal battle with the NBA is Sterling’s right, but that sure isn’t going going to fix anything in the grand sense. It certainly won’t heal nay of the relationships he’s fractured.
Sterling will have a chance to prove whether his apology was sincere – or not.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant reaches, Alec Burks teaches.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Taj Gibson knows how to finish.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Tom Thibodeau is not the yoga type.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love will take the floor together for the first time since the preseason opener.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Experimental preseason game between Nets and Celtics took place Sunday.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Things feel a little different in Miami.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Parker wants the league to spread out the regular season over more weeks.
Oct 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Hollins won’t adjust starters minutes as he coaches the Nets during the experimental game Sunday.
Oct 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“Akron” celebrates James’ homecoming.
Oct 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
The Knicks star says the biggest issue for players is the amount of consecutive games they play.
Kawhi Leonard to miss remainder of preseason due to infection, availability for opening night in question
Oct 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Popovich had legitimate reasons for holding him out.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Oct 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Anthony should have more help than in the recent past, but he’ll need to score plenty in order for his team to have a shot.
Oct 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Olajuwon is employed by the Rockets, and has been working with Howard the last two summers.
Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’
Oct 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Popovich goes deep, referencing an incident that occurred back in 2005.
Oct 18, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Parker is the favorite to win Rookie of the Year honors.
Oct 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Bryant can still get up.
Oct 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Celtics have too many guaranteed contracts, and are already set at Bynum’s position.
NBA announces groundbreaking partnership to implement basketball development curriculum in Chinese schools
Oct 18, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Huge step in increasing the game’s popularity on a global scale.
Oct 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Of course that’s not going to happen.
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 0
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 6
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 30
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34