May 10, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
After firing Mark Jackson, the Warriors need someone who will command respect from a group of players largely loyal to Jackson.
They need a proven winner, someone who has coached deep into the playoffs – the trait that will, at least initially, offer the best chance of rallying players.
They need someone like Lionel Hollins, who led the Memphis Grizzlies to a 56-26 record and the Western Conference Finals in 2013 before the team let him go.
Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports:
Lionel Hollins is expected to interview for Warriors head coach opening during the NBA pre-draft camp in Chicago next week, a source said.—
Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) May 10, 2014
As much as Hollins fits the broad profile of a coach the Warriors need, his stylistic fit is a bit more questionable.
Golden State thrived defensively, but produced just a middling offense. I think the defensive pride Jackson instilled will last for a while, leaving the next coach to upgrade the offense.
Hollins has only once coached a team with an above-median offensive rating – the Grizzlies in his first-year as permanent coach, and they were just barely above average.
Then again, Memphis never had the offensive weapons the Warriors do. Maybe he could be more effective with Stephen Curry and crew.
It’s a big unknown, but it’s not out of the question Hollins could be a good offensive coach. If Hollins wants the job, he should start by convincing the Warriors what he is.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 0
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23