John Wall had scratch on eye, said he could barely see during Game 3

May 10, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Washington Wizards - Game Three Getty Images

John Wall hit 4-of-5 shots inside eight feet in Washington’s Game 3 loss to Indiana, but was 2-of-8 outside that range.

Which isn’t that bad considering he couldn’t see.

Wall got a scratch on his eye during a third quarter, when he drove the lane and was hit by Lance Stephenson, an injury that dramatically impacted his ability to see, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.

“I barely could see after I got hit in the eye,” he said. “I got a cut on my eye so I had to put contacts in to get the medicine to cover the cut.”

It’s not visible. It’s actually on the eyeball and it caused excessive blinking. Wall said it bothered him since the third quarter and it was responsible for him missing 3 of 6 free throws. He’s shooting 34% from the field, 40-for-117, in this series.

Wall had seven turnovers against the Pacers, a combination of his eye and the Pacers defense.

Wall should be fine by Sunday. The Wizards are going to need a monster game out of him in Game 4 to even the series — the Pacers are starting to regain their early season form, particularly on defense. If the Warriors fall in Game 4 and go down 3-1, this series is all but over. Wall will be key.

1. tomtravis76 - May 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Excuses…excuses…excuses…be a leader, stop acting like a 7th grade player with your frustrated body language and earn your money, be the top tier player everyone hopes you are. He has the chance to lead the Washington wizards to the eastern conference finals…only Wes with the bullets has gone further in franchise history when Jimmy Carter was president…75% of the guys in the league now couldn’t tell you who Carter or Wes unseld is.

• nfl4days - May 11, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Lol he had a cut on his eyeball. Stop acting like your Vince Lombardi and realize that some injuries so impact a players performance. That whole body language crap is BS people like to use to pile on the criticism. Peyton manning, tom Brady, lebron James, Kobe Bryant, tiger woods, I don’t care who it is has crappy body language when they’re losing. I don’t see anyone bring that up.

2. ProBasketballPundit - May 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM

John Wall has taken 117 shots in 3 games?

3. timb12 - May 11, 2014 at 2:03 AM

I wear contacts and there have been plenty of times where a contact gets knocked out and I still played at a high level. It seems like a flimsy excuse. Granted, my highest level is nowhere close to the NBA level, but at some point you adjust.

4. bronx77 - May 11, 2014 at 2:16 AM

117?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches