May 10, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
This was exactly the kind of play Doc Rivers said he wanted Blake Griffin to try to make offensively in advance of Game 3 against the Thunder, facing up and attacking his defender by using a burst of speed.
The only problem was, Serge Ibaka wasn’t going anywhere.
Late in the third quarter of the Thunder’s Game 3 win over the Clippers, Griffin tried to do exactly that. He squared up, faked and spun, but Ibaka’s excellent footwork allowed him to stay in front of Griffin.
As the Clippers power forward turned back and gave a head fake, he did so right into the outstretched arm of Ibaka, crashing his nose directly into Ibaka’s elbow, causing some blood to be spilled.
The officials stopped the game momentarily because of the bleeding, but no foul was called on the play, and Griffin was obviously incredulous as to how that could have been the case.
“Hey Scott,” Griffin says to the official. “You see this? How did this happen?”
Just because there was blood doesn’t necessarily mean there was a foul; at the beginning of the sequence, for example, Griffin’s shoulder seems to make contact with Ibaka’s chin, and had that caused a wound, it wouldn’t have been a foul, either.
It’s an example of the physical style that Griffin plays more than anything, and on a night where Griffin finished with 34 points, eight rebounds, four assists and three blocked shots, it was one of a very few things that didn’t end up going his way.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 21
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 35
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 8
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16