May 9, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“Roy Williams really belongs in the NBA” is a sentiment I heard exactly zero times before the Lakers reportedly showed interest in the North Carolina coach.
Not even Williams buys it.
Williams cooled down the Lakers rumors,first reported by the Los Angeles Times earlier this week, by telling Fox Sports Radio host J.T. The Brick that he has no interest in following many of his former players into the NBA.
“I’ve always felt that I’m a college coach and that’s where I belong,” he said.
“Mitch Kupchak is one of my best friends in the whole wide world, there’s no question there. But I’m a college guy,” Williams said. “If somebody calls and offers me the greatest job in the world, it better be really good because I feel like I’ve got about the greatest job in the world.”
In all likelihood, Williams was never a serious candidate – just a name floated among the many the Lakers are considering.
By leaking or allowing someone else to leak Williams’ name, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak gave his fellow Tar Heel a credibility boost. Recruits want to play for coaches who are NBA caliber.
Williams is better off staying at North Carolina, and the Lakers will be much better off with a different coach.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 0
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 35
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 14
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3