May 9, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“Roy Williams really belongs in the NBA” is a sentiment I heard exactly zero times before the Lakers reportedly showed interest in the North Carolina coach.
Not even Williams buys it.
Williams cooled down the Lakers rumors,first reported by the Los Angeles Times earlier this week, by telling Fox Sports Radio host J.T. The Brick that he has no interest in following many of his former players into the NBA.
“I’ve always felt that I’m a college coach and that’s where I belong,” he said.
“Mitch Kupchak is one of my best friends in the whole wide world, there’s no question there. But I’m a college guy,” Williams said. “If somebody calls and offers me the greatest job in the world, it better be really good because I feel like I’ve got about the greatest job in the world.”
In all likelihood, Williams was never a serious candidate – just a name floated among the many the Lakers are considering.
By leaking or allowing someone else to leak Williams’ name, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak gave his fellow Tar Heel a credibility boost. Recruits want to play for coaches who are NBA caliber.
Williams is better off staying at North Carolina, and the Lakers will be much better off with a different coach.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43