May 9, 2014, 11:11 AM EST
“Roy Williams really belongs in the NBA” is a sentiment I heard exactly zero times before the Lakers reportedly showed interest in the North Carolina coach.
Not even Williams buys it.
Williams cooled down the Lakers rumors,first reported by the Los Angeles Times earlier this week, by telling Fox Sports Radio host J.T. The Brick that he has no interest in following many of his former players into the NBA.
“I’ve always felt that I’m a college coach and that’s where I belong,” he said.
“Mitch Kupchak is one of my best friends in the whole wide world, there’s no question there. But I’m a college guy,” Williams said. “If somebody calls and offers me the greatest job in the world, it better be really good because I feel like I’ve got about the greatest job in the world.”
In all likelihood, Williams was never a serious candidate – just a name floated among the many the Lakers are considering.
By leaking or allowing someone else to leak Williams’ name, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak gave his fellow Tar Heel a credibility boost. Recruits want to play for coaches who are NBA caliber.
Williams is better off staying at North Carolina, and the Lakers will be much better off with a different coach.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 0
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8