May 9, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“Roy Williams really belongs in the NBA” is a sentiment I heard exactly zero times before the Lakers reportedly showed interest in the North Carolina coach.
Not even Williams buys it.
Williams cooled down the Lakers rumors,first reported by the Los Angeles Times earlier this week, by telling Fox Sports Radio host J.T. The Brick that he has no interest in following many of his former players into the NBA.
“I’ve always felt that I’m a college coach and that’s where I belong,” he said.
“Mitch Kupchak is one of my best friends in the whole wide world, there’s no question there. But I’m a college guy,” Williams said. “If somebody calls and offers me the greatest job in the world, it better be really good because I feel like I’ve got about the greatest job in the world.”
In all likelihood, Williams was never a serious candidate – just a name floated among the many the Lakers are considering.
By leaking or allowing someone else to leak Williams’ name, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak gave his fellow Tar Heel a credibility boost. Recruits want to play for coaches who are NBA caliber.
Williams is better off staying at North Carolina, and the Lakers will be much better off with a different coach.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29