May 9, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
With reports of a rift between Tom Thibodeau and Bulls management, teams with coaching vacancies are circling.
The Warriors are expected to contact the Chicago Bulls to explore the availability of their head coach, defensive whiz Tom Thibodeau, who was an assistant in Boston when Lacob was a minority owner of the 2008 champion Celtics.
Thibodeau, obviously, also has say here. He’s been successful in Chicago, and there’s no guarantee he wants to leave. There are a lot of considerations – potential salary, his desire to live in California, his perception of each team’s quality, etc. – before this gets serious.
And of course, whether the Bulls, who have Thibodeau under contract, want to let him go.
The Celtics and Clippers set the market last season for an exchange like this, Los Angeles sending Boston a first-round pick – one likely to fall late in the round – to let Doc Rivers out of his contract early.
Due to trades, the Warriors can’t trade any draft pick – first round or second – before 2019. Would the Bulls want to wait that long get their return? Would Golden State mortgage even more of their-long term future?
If the Warriors wait until after the 2014 draft, they could trade their 2015 first-round pick, but they might not want to let the uncertainty linger that long. Chicago might not want to find a new coach that late in the process, either.
And I’m not sure Thibodeau would be an ideal fit in Golden State – at least good enough to warrant the cost of hiring him, including what Chicago would require and the salary Thibodeau would command.
The Warriors quietly had an excellent defense last season. Thibodeau would at least maintain that level, maybe even nudge them up slightly. But he wouldn’t move the needle considerably, because there just isn’t that much room to improve.
Golden State needs a coach who can make its offense click. The Warriors have plenty of offensive talent, and they should be much better than a middling offensive team.
Thibodeau hasn’t shown offense to be his forte.
The Warriors should have interest in him, because he’s a very good coach. Beyond that, there are many more reasons to suspect this won’t happen than to believe it will.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47